H.F.A.
SPOTlight
on
alt.horror

THE ALT.HORROR SPOTlight..

DID SOMEBODY SAY "MOTEL HELL"???

Well I haven't been able to find the exact start up date of the ultimate News Group for Horror discussion.. A perpetual wave of forum after forum on horror related topics.. I could just say to know alt.horror you first need to lurk a while and get the feel for its inhabitants before you interact in this online 'cine club'.. But it isn't just film related.. it sometimes stretches into other areas.. But for the most part the nexus site of all horror sites is alt.horror and its major focus is FILMS..

How do you get involved in this place.. well instructions are as easy as this.. Go to the top of your screen where a URL link is and type 'news:alt.horror' press enter and you are on your way.. providing your browser is above version 4..

BUT don't just go there yet first it is advised to check over the rules of engagement set in stone in 1996 at the alt.horro FAQ.. There are certain ettiquettes one must abide by so as to not be seen as a troll.. To acoid being called a troll for GROUP misconduct and mis use. Be sure to read the FAQ..

Big tips.. Acting like a Know-it-all will result in alienation as per the FAQ. "3. Try to avoid statements like:

So&So rules/sucks donkey balls!!
You're stupid!!
Me too!!

Posts like these will quickly lead to people flaming and/or ignoring you. They're also a good way to get into people's killfiles. The point of this newsgroup is to have conversations, don't alienate yourself!! "

This and other tips are found at the FAQ

http://www.clark.net/pub/azrael/horrorfaq/index.htm

But the group isn't all about rules.. It is about discussion and holding a torch in the air for the genre of horror.. The Majority of posters make for good reading.. There is a minority of Trolls who clutter the board on odd occasion with CRAP..

The Importance of these kind of groups is for eventually manufacturing a style of criticism that will suit the horror genre as traditional forms of criticism seem to be far to harsh on the genre.. Most films that are examined on the group are examined with open minds. Except for those in the SLASHER sub-genre that are met with a hazardous division within the group.. Hence the reason for other groups forming like alt.fan.scream for those who like that film and its subgenre.. But the slasher is still discussed with reference to some title you may be unfamiliar with and others you should be.. (As a horror fan).

Lurking.. Well before really getting stuck into posting this is advised to get the flow of the group.. First watch it for a week.. Than post.. and engage in discussion on the genre.. Or if you are from Hollywood or Hollywouldbe you might be lurking in the group to find out about audience taste and reaction to gossip/news and new releases.. I was beside myself the day Martin Kunert posted on the group (see the NG interview here).. Director of "Campfire Tales", part of the New Wave of horror.. This New Wave, or Post Modern Horror as it is also refered to is a touchy subject again as it seems to run traditionalist the wrong way.. Watch the gentle way in which participants of alt.horror handle themselves when they are not in agreeance.. Most times it is in a civil manner. Needless to say the board was hot with the release of the shot 4 shot remaked of Psycho was released.. As it will be when the Dreamworks re-construction of Shirley Jackson's "The Haunting (of Hill House)" will be released.

The Participants.. Well as well as horror fans.. You will find Editors, writers, musicians and directors.. I won't name names that would take the fun out of it.. But an imdb search on some of the posters may reveal a little bit more than you barganned for.. Don't sit around praising them all the time when you find them, instead incorporate their expertise into your discussion in some way.

alt.horror as an evil spawing thing.. Well there are plenty of NG's on horror on the NET.. this is one of them.. Here is a list I have gathered.. some of this NG's may have gone dead over time.. There maybe new NGs by now.. :) ALT.HORROR

alt.binaries.x-files
alt.books.anne-rice
alt.books.brian-lumley
alt.books.clive-barker
alt.books.dean-koontz
alt.books.ghost-fiction
alt.books.peter-straub
alt.books.poppy-z-brite
alt.books.stephen-king
alt.books.thomas-ligotti
alt.comics.alan-moore
alt.cult-movies
alt.cult-movies.alien
alt.cult-movies.cronenberg
alt.cult-movies.evil-deads
alt.fan.anne-rice
alt.fan.authors.stephen-king
alt.fan.bruce-campbell
alt.fan.harlan-ellison
alt.fan.neil-gaiman
alt.fan.sam-raimi
alt.folklore.ghost-stories
alt.horror.creative
alt.horror.cthulhu
alt.horror.video.collectable
alt.horror.werewolves
alt.movies.hitchcock
alt.movies.monster
alt.monster.cottage.kill
alt.tv.amer-gothic
alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer
alt.tv.dark_shadows
alt.tv.forever-knight
alt.tv.forever-knight.spoilers
alt.tv.kindred
alt.tv.millennium
alt.tv.x-files
alt.tv.x-files.creative
alt.vampyres

Recent additions see horror make it into another NG hierachy.. That of rec.arts. HORROR IS NOW ART!!!!!!! (evil laugh)

rec.arts.horror.marketplace
rec.arts.horror.misc
rec.arts.horror.movies
rec.arts.horror.tv
rec.arts.horror.written

Okay I know there must be more horror related NG's than this but these are the ones I have gathered thus far.. if you have anymore email them to me at [email protected] or [email protected].. incidently the pictures to your left are from the al.horror webring competition.. The best one will be the alt.horror web ring graphic and will also win a prize I will decide on in a about a week.. But so far looks like an tatty old X-Rental copy of a Michale Berrymen film called "Cut and Run".. It's an action film.. Just kidding the prize will be something to do with horror.. But I'm sending that film some plave the I gotta get rid of it some how.. :).. The address for the ring is below. get.to/althorrorring.. easy to remember. The winner will be chosen by an alt.horror poll..

IF you are an alt.horrortarian and have a site, sign up for the webring.

http://get.to/althorrorring

I'm the Ring master.. Just thought it was something that had to happen.. There is a pic desing comp on.

, 1998-1999.
Click Here!

HFA Main.

SPOTlight page.