My Family's Stories

You are just in time for coffee and cake, or if you would rather have pie we have that too.
Ya'll come on in and sit a spell. We are just tickled to death you decided to visit us. We have 3 stories for you today. Would you like to hear them? They go like this:

Click on the button to read the corresponding story:

Ben's story Joe's story Ben Jr's story

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN KIMBALL, 1825-1900

This is the story as told by some of Benjamin's grandchildren. This was one story not spoken of, you know the ones. The "skeleton in the closet" kind.

Benjamin Franklin Kimball was born May 09, 1825 possibly North Carolina (not sure of city) and died November 01, 1900 in Wisner buried first time in Holly Grove Cemetary in Wisner, Louisiana, and a second time in Old Pine Hill Cemetary, Sicily Island, Concordia Parish, Louisiana. Ben had married Mrs. Nancy J. Hollonger, June 21, 1862, Wilkinson County, Miss. Nancy was born May 03, 1835 in Louisiana and died March 06, 1900 in Wisner buried in Old Pine Hill Cemetary, Sicily Island, Concordia Parish, Louisiana. Benjamin and Nancy had many children. Three known are Mary Kimble (b abt 1866) m name Kendrix, Sarah Kimball, (b abt 1869) m name Mayeau, and Ella Kimbell, (b about 1871) m name Kiper.

After a trip to South Louisiana Benjamin brought a young girl home with him as a "live-in housekeeper". The housekeepers name was Louisiana Calhoun. People just called her Lou Benjamin and "Lou" had several children. One of which was my grandfather Joseph. It is believed he never married "Lou". Benjamin and Lou were buried side by side.

Some years after their death, one of the daughters of Benjamin and Nancy (believed to have been Mary), found out that Joseph and some of her other brothers were "illegitimate". She was so horrified at this scandalous affair, that she confronted the "bastard" brothers to demand they give up their claim to her father's name. They refused and so she changed the spelling of the family's surname to KIMBLE, so that it would not be mistaken for that of the illegitimate one, KIMBALL. She then had her father's body removed from the cemetary at Holly Grove, and had him secretly reburied in another cemetary my grandfather believed to be Pine Hills (or something sounding similar) near the Mississippi River.

My sister Esther E. Kimball Haywood and I, searched all the cemetaries around Franklin Parish. Then one day my brother was talking about going fishing down near the "Old Pine Hills Cemetary" in Sicily Island. My sister and I just looked at each other and then we just started laughing. You see Sicily Island is only about 3 miles from Wisner and located in Concordia Parish. We went there the next day. And there they were...side by side "B. F. KIMBLE" AND "N. J. KIMBLE" with one head stone. The dates of birth and death dates matched. We had found our great grandfather.

We found Benjamin's father. His name was William S. Kimbell. He was born in North Carolina and moved to Butt's County Georgia where he remarried. In 1850, William, Benjamin and two cousins John, and Christopher, moved to Darbonne, Claiborne Parish Louisiana. They lived there for a time. Benjamin was married to Frances Beale (married her in Georgia) and they had 4 children. According to the 1860 Franklin Parish Census, Benjamin lived in Wisner with his wife Nancy, and housekeeper and children. He also lived in Claiborne parish with wife Frances. In the 1880 Franklin Parish Census, Benjamin stated that his father was from Alabama.

Also there have been stories my Uncles and Aunts used to tell about their grandmother being full blooded Indian from Alabama. According to the stories, Ben's father lived with the Indians and spoke their language fluently and that he had married an Indian chief's daughter. So me said he paid "handsomely" for her, 2 mules, 3 sacks of flour, 4 blankets, and a hunting knife. After his father died, Benjamin built a house for his mother behind his. (I don't remember the house, but of course even my grandparents were dead long before I was born). The stories also include the possibility that she did not speak any English,and that she and Lou spent a lot of time together, because Lou was also full blood Indian. No one seems to know what tribe of Indians, (most believe they were both Choctaw), and this story only been substantiated by the nodding of a few old gray heads in agreement.

We are still researching and updating.. There are probably many errors. Anyone with any information that should be added or changed, please email me. I look forward to hearing from you.

JOSEPH KIMBALL

Story told by Julian "Doc" Kimball.

Joseph Kimball murdered Oct 25, 1920

Joseph Kimball b: February 01, 1882 on Turnbull Island, Point Coupee Psh, LA d: October 25, 1920 in Holly Grove Cem, Wisner, La

There was a black man named Sam, what worked for my father and a few other planters from time to time in Wisner. Sam wanted a foal from Dad's roan and Mr. Jeb York who owned the stud. Dad told him he would sell it to for $50. Sam took the foal telling Dad he would pay him off the first bail of cotton he ginned.

Well several months went by and everytime Dad asked Sam for the money, Sam would put him off with different excuses. One day Dad saw Sam and his father pass with a wagon of cotton. He stuck his head in the door to tell Momma he was heading to the gin to meet with Sam and get his $50.

When Dad got to the gin, he asked Sam for his money. They argued a bit, and Dad decided to go across the road and get the Sheriff, since his office was across from the gin. Sam got down from the wagon, and grabbed his 45 pistol from the back of the seat. He ran around back of the gin, as to come up on Dad from behind. He shot Dad 4 or 5 times, before Dad fell. Sam ran up to him, and was about to shoot him again, this time in the head, when one of the men at the gin, stopped him. By then Dad was already dead. He got between Dad and Sam and told him "Sam you gonna hafta shoot me dead afore I let you shoot Joe another time. Now you go on and git from here." Well Sam took off runnin toward Gilbert. (Gilbert, La., is about 8-10 miles west of Wisner, La.) The man shouted for the Sheriff and they got a lot of men together to go look for Sam.

Well, Sam run all the way to Gilbert with 50 or more men and their dogs huntin him. When he got to Gilbert, he ran into a man, I think he was a friend of Dad's, I don't remember who. But the man asked Sam what was goin on and Sam told him the story. Well the man told Sam to turn hisself in to him, and he would make sure he got a fair trial. Sam did just that. The man took Sam back to Wisner, and on the way met up with all those men trackin Sam. He handed Sam over to the men who took him back to Wisner, dragging him behind their horses. When they got to town, they hung Sam. They left that Sam hang there for about 3 weeks before they cut him down.

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN KIMBALL, Jr.,

Story told by Julian "Doc" Kimball.

Ben was Dad's half brother. Ben and Mary made out like, Papa Ben was married to their mother, and not to my Dad's mother. Dad said it was the other way around. But even though they quarreled about it, Ben and Dad were real close. Only thing, Ben was smart act. He was always trying to pull a prank or something on someone. Usually wound up fighting because of it.

Well this one day, Ben, Dad, and Jeb York, and one of the Tillman boys went huntin. After they decided to go over to Jeb's house to drink some coffee. Jeb York always wore white. He wore then little white cloth shoes, white long waste coat with a little black ribbon tied at the neck, and a wide brim white panama hat.

They were ridin two abreast, with Dad and Ben in the back. It had come a big rain the day before and the road was washed with mud. There were puddles of it where them old hogs done wallered em out. Ben turned and said, "Joe, Im a gonna splash mud on ole Jeb's coat. Wouldn't that be a hoot?"

Dad said, "You better not, Ben. You know it'll only rile him up, and you two'll be scrappin". But wouldn't nothing do Ben but to splash that mud, on account of how funny it would be.

Well as he got along side one of them puddles, he jerked short on his reins, to make the horses feet slide into the puddle. Only instead of splashing on Jeb, his horse rared and Ben fell off into the mud with the horse on top of him. Dad and Jeb pulled the horse off Ben. Then Dad started pumping on Ben, makin lots of mud come out of his mouth and nose. But it was too late.

Ben had broke his neck and died when he fell. Dad was very angry with Ben for a long time and he never got over his death. He used to say, "Well he lived as he died, being a smart act. If I'd known he'd broke his fool neck, I wouldn't have wasted my time, pumpin the mud out of him."

Family Photo Pages

Check out the following Descendents' Lists

Ben Kimbell Wm. Kimball
ASHLEY CALHOUN DAY
NUGENT PARKER WILSON

Great Genealogy Links and Other links of interest NutNut - The Ultimate Connection Kimball Genealogy

Hey go check out my brother's page. They are great (I know cause I created those pages for him.. He has a lot to offer those hard core gamers of Duke Nukem, and Half Life, and Descent, etc.... He also has other great stuff to see there. What ya waitin for ..Go see, Just bookmark me and come back.please...

Mangloid Pages

"Little Gentlemen Formalwear! Tuxedo, Vests, and Bow Ties Sets in Beautiful Sequined Fabric!".
This is my Daughter-in-law, Cheryl's website. This is a must see. She not only designs but also personally sews them.. She is great. Here you can find those wonderful costumes/formal clothes for your Little Gentlemen (also your Little Ladies).. Check it out you will not be sorry. (My grandson, Christian and granddaughter Kristina is modeling some of these outfits...

Mary Kaye Products Online... Your Hostess.....Shana Entzel
My daughter Shana's site. Mary Kaye products online.. Its a great site. Go there and order lots of stuff.....lol She will appreciate your business.

This home page was created by Judy Kimball Hise on Oct 22, 1996.
Last Modified: Friday, September 10, 1999 08:16 AM

BODY