You'll find cover images, locations, dates, setlists, short reviews with ratings and all the other information I have about the bootlegs here.

Battle Cries

2 CD
1993, Europe
Highway Star / Black Night / Talk About Love / A Twist In The Tail / Perfect Strangers / Jon Lord Medley / Knocking At Your Backdoor / Anyone's Daughter / Child In Time / Anya / The Battle Rages On / Lazy / Woman From Tokyo / Paint It Black / Hush / Speed King / Smoke On The Water

It should be from October, 19th or 20th, from the Zenith in Paris, France (I suppose). The sound is decent, nothing spectacular though, a little "fluttery" sometimes. What they call "Jon Lord Medley" starts with some nice and unique riffing from Ritchie before he turns into Beethoven's Ninth, followed by some rather "wildish" Bach interpretation of Jon's, interpolating some boogie woogie and classical tunes as well. Some connection noises during "Child", Gillan rather weak on that one (also: end cut off). Actually "Lazy" includes the theme of "Hall Of The Mountain King" and "Space Truckin'", which is not mentioned on the cover. The overall performance is superb, both Jon and Ritchie in a great mood with lots of extra improvisation.  9.4

Berlin 1971 CD
May 22, 1971, Berlin, Germany
Child In Time / Mandrake Root / Strange Kind Of Woman / Into The Fire / Paint It Black / Black Night / Lucille

Ritchie's Blues CD
August 24, 1969, Paradiso, Amsterdam, Netherlands Italy
Kneel And Pray / Child In Time / Mandrake Root / Wring That Neck / Ritchie's Blues / Paint It Black

Fireballs Over Chicago 1996

With Steve Morse

2 CD
Nov. 29, 1996, Rosemont Horizon, Chicago, IL
Hush / Fireball / Ted The Mechanic / Pictures Of Home / Black Night / Cascades (I'm Not Your Lover) / Sometimes I feel Like Screaming / Woman From Tokyo / The Aviator / Rosa's Cantina / No One Came / Smoke On The Water / When A Blind Man Cries / Speed King / Drum Solo / Perfect Strangers / Hey Cisco / Highway Star

The sound is a bit hollow. Outstanding about this one is "The Aviator", which wasn't performed live too often (Roger and Steve both playing acoustic guitars during the beginning). Perfect performance overall. 9.5

Children In Time

CD

Jon Stew / Bloodsucker / Wring That Neck / Child In Time / Into The Fire / No, No, No / Hey Joe / Emmaretta #1 / Lalena / Painter / Kneel And Pray #1 / Emmaretta #2 / Kneel And Pray #2 / Speed King

see also

Cold Spring Essen 2 CD
February 12, 1972, Essen, Germany
Highway Star / Strange Kind Of Woman / No, No, No / Child In Time / The Mule / Space Truckin' / Fireball

The Colour Purple   ( Coloured Purple ) CD
1987 (I suppose: Feb. 4, Westfalenhalle, Dortmund, Germany)
Highway Star / Strange Kind Of Woman / The Unwritten Law / Dead Or Alive / Perfect Strangers / Hard Lovin' Woman / Keyboard Improvisation / Knockin' At Your Back Door / Speed King / Black Night / Smoke On The Water

Taste It Downunder

With Tommy Bolin

2 CD
November 25, 1975, Festival Hall, Melbourne, Australia

Plus interview

1000 copies
Burn / Lady Luck / Love Child / Getting Tighter / Smoke On The Water / Georgia / Wild Dogs / I Need Love - Lazy / This Time Around / You Keep On Movin' / Stormbringer / Highway Star / Interview

Purple Rose Of Hanau

With Steve Morse

2 CD
Hanau, Germany, March 30, 1996
Fireball / Maybe I'm A Leo / Ted The Mechanic / Pictures Of Home / Black Night / Cascades: I'm Not Your Lover Now / Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming / Woman From Tokyo / Bloodsucker / Purpendicular Waltz / No One Came / Rosa's Cantina / Smoke On The Water / When A Blind Man Cries / Somebody Stole My Guitar / Speed King / Perfect Strangers / Hey Cisco / Highway Star bonus: Georgia On My Mind / Stormbringer / I Thank You / Coming Your Way / You Fool No One
Great bootleg ! Great performance, great sound, lots of bass, nice balance. Actually too good to be an audience recording.... Just I don't know why they put these weird extra tracks on it... the cover information says they were from Long Beach Arena, CA. April 15, 1973, which I doubt big time. 9.8

In Perfect Harmony CD
Aug. 24, 1969, Amsterdam & Jan. - Sep.1969, London (BBC) Italy
Mandrake Root / Child In Time / Kneel And Pray / Hey Joe / Lalena / The Painter / Emmaretta

Machine Head 1971 CD
Outtakes, Dec. 6 - 21, Montreux, Switzerland
Highway Star / Maybe I'm A Leo / I'm Alone / Never Before / Smoke On The Water / Lazy / Space Truckin' (instr.) / Highway Star / Maybe I'm A Leo (instr.) / I'm Alone / Never Before (instr. with backing vocals) / Smoke On The Water (instr. with backing vocals) / Lazy (instr.)

Highway Star CD
1972, London Italy
Highway Star / Strange Kind Of Woman / Smoke On The Water / Never Before / Maybe I'm A Leo / Lazy / Lucille

In Flame 2 CD
Mar. 13, 1974, Madison Square Garden N.Y.C.
Burn / Lay Down, Stay Down / Mistreated / Smoke On The Water / You Fool No One - The Mule / Space Truckin' / Sep. 4, 1974, San Diego:  Smoke On The Water

Live In Japan 1993 lost

Kings Of Speed CD
May 25, 1971, Pala Eur, Rome, Italy
Strange Kind Of Woman / Into The Fire / Child In Time / Mandrake Root

Last Live 1973

MK II (+MK IV)

2 CD
June 29, Festival Hall, Osaka, Japan 
Highway Star / Smoke On The Water / Strange Kind Of Woman / Child In Time / Lazy / The Mule / Space Truckin' / Highway Star / Burn / Stormbringer  Last three songs bonus with Tommy Bolin

Last gig with Gillan and Glover. The sound quality is really weak, getting even worse with Lazy, plus there's a drop-out in this song. Also a drop-out during Space Truckin'. (Tape change?) This piece is only interesting for historical reasons because it holds Ian Gillan's farewell speech. The sound quality of the Bolin bonus is way better (HS is cut from a radio broadcast, Burn is taken from vinyl - presumably the bonus 45 which came with some Japanese LP releases), but I have no idea what that's doing here. I just don't like that kind of stuff, especially when they're from totally different eras.   See also

The Legend Lives On CD
1993, Europe Italy
Highway Star / Black Night / Anyone's Daughter / Child In Time / Lazy / Space Truckin' / Woman From Tokyo / Paint It Black / Smoke On The Water

A Light From Deep Darkness

With Satriani

2 CD
June 17, 1994, Villingen-Schwenningen, Germany

Bonus: Jon Lord solo and interview

500 copies
Highway Star / Ramshackle Man / Maybe I'm A Leo / Fireball / Into The Fire / Perfect Strangers / Pictures Of Home / Knocking At Your Back Door / Anyone's Daughter / Anya / The Battle Rages On / When A Blind Man Cries / Lazy / Satch Boogie / Space Truckin' / Woman From Tokyo / Paint It Black / Space Truckin' / Speed King / Smoke On The Water /   Jon Lord: Say It's All Right / Interview Stuttgart, July 8, 1995

It's not much of a secret that I'm not an admirer of Satch's style, but I hope it doesn't influence my rating too much. I only wish he'd do less showing-off sometimes. All these squeaks and on-the-edge distortion and feed-back things aren't necessary for Purple's music, IMHO. They match better to early Van Halen... Also: we *know* that he can play fast, he doesn't have to prove it every 20 seconds with extra licks, especially not in songs like PS, where it *really* doesn't belong. Anyway, I don't want to slag on him constantly, so, back to the review: The sound of this one is mediocre, pretty hollow. Gillan's voice has seen better nights than this particular one, on top of that, this recording isn't to his advantage, he sounds distorted sometimes. Jon, Rog and Paicey, perfect as always though. What raises my rating for this piece is the extremely rare Jon Lord solo track. I think this is from an almost "secret" concert under the name "Gemini Band", feat. Pete York, but I might be wrong here. 7.8

The Story Of A Loser (it could be you) 2 CD
Not mentioned on cover  My guess: June 24, 1973, Nagoya 
Highway Star / Smoke On The Water / Strange Kind Of Woman / Child In Time / Lazy / The Mule / Space Truckin' / Black Night

Another one from the last MK II tour. Really good quality, if you bear in mind the year of the recording. The peformance is also acceptable, especially considering it was just a couple of days berfore their split. Of course it's lacking the usual fire, but at least everybody is doing a decent job, especialy Paicey with a really nice solo. If you're looking for documentation of this final tour, I'd prefer this one to  Last Live 1973,    8.0

Mark III 2 CD
April 7, 1975, Olympia, Paris, France
Burn / Stormbringer / The Gypsy / Lady Double Dealer / Mistreated / Smoke On The Water / You Fool No One - The Mule / Space Truckin' / Going Down / Highway Star / Highway Star

Last MK III concert with Ritchie Blackmore. Later this gig was officially released on CD as "The Final Concerts".

Some sound checking at the beginning, but after a little intro of Ritchie's they kick off with "Burn". The sound, especially the vocals, is pretty distorted. Heavy bass though, the drums sound rather naked. Not a *must have* because most of the stuff exists in better quality elsewhere. Where the second "Highway Star" is from ? I have NO clue......

More Tastes !

With Tommy Bolin

2 CD
December 15, 1975  + bonus tracks
Burn / Lady Luck / Love Child / Getting Tighter / Smoke On The Water / Georgia / Wild Dogs / I Need Love / Soldier Of Fortune / Owed To G / Drifter / You Keep On Movin' / Stormbringer / Highway Star / Fireball  (1971) / You Fool No One  (1974) / Hush  (1969)   

The show (according to the cover information) must be from the Budokan Hall, Tokyo, Japan, which would mean it is the same show that we hear on the "Last Concert In Japan" album. Well, I can hardly believe that, and if it is true, the official album must be *very, very* edited.... To me it sounds like the first part (up to "Wild Dogs" - which is definitely identical to the LCIJ album) is from a different gig. Anyway, even if it's the same show, this CD gives us what was left off...

Too bad that the sound of this CD is rather weak, because the performance has some very interesting moments. To mention just a few: "Getting Tighter" lasts about 16:08 , "I Need Love", is there, which is not on the official album. "Owed To G" seems to be from a different source, barely noticable as the original song, but very interesting. "Drifter", which, to be honest, I've never known to be performed live, is another interesting part of this CD, although the sound here is very weak and there's a tape slip, but it's nice to have it. Coming to "You Keep On Movin'", which is definitely from the gig we hear on LCIJ, I start believing that the quality differences are only a matter of the position of the bootlegger, it doesn't necessarily mean they are from different gigs. Hmm.... I'm not sure. Anyway, "Stormbringer" is another one we didn't get on the official album.

I don't understand what these stupid "bonus" songs are doing here.... I hate that, especially when they are from a totally different time period. Plus, in that case, the quality is really weak. I don't know what that is all about.... (other than this might be the longest Fireball version ever, with 7:59).  

This one is really hard to rate.... the sound isn't that great but it has some "historically important" moments, so I give it a   --->

Blackless Morsemania

With Steve Morse

2 CD
March 4, 1995, Musical Theatre, Sunrise, FL.
Fireball / Black Night / The Battle Rages On / Ted The Mechanic / Woman From Tokyo / Purpendicular Waltz / When A Blind Man Cries / Perfect Strangers / Anyone's Daughter / Child In Time / Anya / Soon Forgotten / Lazy / Speed King / Highway Star / Smoke On The Water
This one holds only parts of the gig. The complete show you'll find on  Purple Sunrise

Nürumberg 1973 CD
Jan. 19, 1973, Messehalle Nürnburg, Germany
Highway Star / Smoke On The Water / Strange Kind Of Woman / Mary Long / Lazy / Space Truckin'

Out CD
Jon Stew / Bloodsucker / Wring That Neck / Child In Time / Into The Fire / No, No, No / Hey Joe / Emmaretta / Lalena / Painter / Ricochet / Emmaretta / Speed King

Same as  Children In Time. Slightly variation, namely: Kneel And Pray is called "Ricochet" and one version of it is dropped off.

Parlez Vous Purple 2 CD
July 8, 1985, Palais Omnisports, Paris, France
Highway Star / Nobody's Home / Strange Kind Of Woman (interpolating Jesus Christ Superstar - not mentioned on cover) / Blues - A Gypsys Kiss / Perfect Strangers / Under The Gun / Knocking At Your Back Door / Difficult To Cure / Jon Solo / Space Truckin' / Woman From Tokyo / Black Night / Smoke On The Water / Child In Time / Speed King

Cover says it is taken from a FM broadcast. Well, we wanna believe them.... since the sound is really good (in the beginning). Gillan's voice though is in a pitiful shape that night.

CD 2 is way lower in output. Plus: the last four songs are from different sources, which I can't name, but they are really, really weak. Another piece that no one needs.  

To the  next page  with more Deep Purple bootlegs

Back to  recent page  with more Deep Purple bootlegs

Back to the Bootleg  Index

To Ted's    Pages

with more stuff about Purple and their records, on-stage images, concert reviews, backstage pictures and more

Please e-mail  me your comments or questions

©  2001 by Axel Dauer