You'll find cover images, locations, dates, setlists, short reviews with ratings and all the other information I have about the bootlegs here.

Finish In Finland  ( Ritchies Last )

2 CD
Nov. 17, 1993 Jaahalli, Helsinki
Intro / Highway Star / Black Night / Talk About Love / A Twist In The Tail / Perfect Strangers / Difficult To Cure / Jon Lord Solo / Knocking At Your Backdoor / Anyone's Daughter / Child In Time / Anya / The Battle Rages On / Lazy / Space Truckin´/ Woman From Tokyo / Paint It Black / Hush / Speed King / Smoke On The Water / Outro

Fireball Over Madrid

With Satriani

2 CD
Madrid 1994  ( I suppose: July 1st ) 
Intro / Highway Star / Real Gentlemen / Maybe I'm A Leo / Fireball/ Perfect Strangers / Pictures Of Home / Knocking At Your Backdoor / Anyone's Daughter / Gypsy's Heart / The Battle Rages On / When A Blind Man Cries / Lazy / Space Truckin' / Speed King / Smoke On The Water      bonus: Speed King / A Bird Has Flown (1969)

Live In Osaka 1972 2 CD
Osaka, Tokyo, Aug. 15, 16, 17, 1972 Italy
Highway Star / Strange Kind Of Woman / Lazy / Black Night / Child In Time / Smoke On The Water / Space Truckin' / Speed King

Berlin 5.29.70 CD
Wring That Neck / Mandrake Root / Speed King

Stuttgart 2.16/17.72

CD
Stuttgart, Germany, Feb.16/17, 1972

Highway Star / No No No / The Mule / Speed King / Mumblin' Thing Blues / Space Truckin' / Strange Kind Of Woman

As a matter of fact, it is stuff from *three* different concerts. Highway Star, No No No, The Mule from Stuttgart, Feb. 16, 1972.

Speed King, Mumbling Thing Blues and Space Truckin' from Stuttgart, Feb. 17, 1972.

The last song, Strange Kind Of Woman, is from Speyer, Sept. 05, 1971.

The sound quality is okay, it's audience recorded. I mean, what do you expect from a time when tape recorders still had the size of a toaster..... Interesting about this one is the "No No No" thing, which is pretty rare.

We Found The Guitar

With Steve Morse

2 CD
Kungshamsvallen, Smogen, 04/07/96 (bonus Halmstad 05/07/96 + more)
Fireball / Ted The Mechanic / Pictures Of Home / Black Night / Cascades (I'm Not Your Lover) / Sometimes I feel Like Screaming / Woman From Tokyo / No One Came / Smoke On The Water / When A Blind Man Cries / Speed King / Perfect Strangers / Highway Star / Speed King / Hey Cisco / Strange Kind Of Woman / Blues-A Gypsy's Kiss

Highway Stars 2 CD
Adelaide, Memorial Drive, Nov. 30, 1984 2 LP
Highway Star / Nobody's Home / Strange Kind Of Woman / A Gypsy's Kiss / Perfect Strangers / Under The Gun / Knocking At Your Backdoor / Lazy / Drum Solo / Child In Time / Difficult To Cure / Space Truckin' / Organ Solo / Space Truckin' / Black Night / Speed King / Smoke On The Water

Hungary Days 2 CD
Budapest, Jan. 26, 27, 28, 1987 3 LP
Highway Star / Strange Kind Of Woman / The Unwritten Law / Dead Or Alive / Perfect Strangers / Hard Lovin' Woman / Bad Attitude / Child In Time / Difficult To Cure / Knocking At Your Backdoor / Lazy / Space Truckin' / Black Night / Smoke On The Water / Speed King / Call Of The Wild / Woman From Tokyo

Look What We Found CD
MK I and II LP
John Stew / Blood Sucker / Wring That Neck / Child In Time / Into The Fire / No No No / Hey Joe / Emmaretta / Lalena / The Painter / Ricochet

A New King Is Born

With Steve Morse

2 CD
Berlin, Germany, March 15, 1996
Fireball / Into The Fire / Maybe I'm A Leo / Vavoom: Ted The Mechanic / Pictures Of Home / Black Night / Cascades: I'm Not Your Lover / Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming / Woman From Tokyo / Bloodsucker / The Purpendicular Waltz / No One Came / Rosa's Cantina / Smoke On The Water / Jon Lord Solo / When A Blind Man Cries / Somebody Stole My Guitar / Speed King / Perfect Strangers / Hey Cisco / Highway Star

Live In Offenbach 2 CD
Offenbach, Germany, April 10, 1971 
Introduction / Speed King / Strange Kind Of Woman / Child In Time / Paint It Black (drum solo) / Into The Fire / Mandrake Root / Black Night / Lucille

Again a rather surprisingly good sound quality, according to the time when it was recorded. More distorted than the  Oldenburg  recording of the gig three days earlier, but therefore it's more powerful and with a stronger mix for Big Ian and Roger. Plus this one seems to hold the complete show. What they call "Intro" here is nothing less but that thing which we now known as the "Danish Yodel", from the Aarhus  show. We hear a Paicey solo here in Paint It Black and Ritchie is showing us some very different echo-/bending-/tuning- effects on Mandrake Root, which are stretching the song to 29:20 - excluding afterplay. (I think he also smashed the Strat at the end - at least it sounds like that). Black Night has a rather wild Ritchie solo, compared to what we got used to later days, and it holds some excellent Ian/Ritchie duel. Lucille is very powerful with a great two minute intro of Ritchie's, though Ian is pretty distorted on this one. Well, just for sound reasons, I rate this boot a little lower than the Oldenburg one, the performance is equally good, if not better, but it's still an -----> 8.8

Purpen Olympia

With Steve Morse

2 CD
Olympia, Paris, June 17, 1996
Fireball / Maybe I'm A Leo / Ted The Mechanic / Pictures Of Home / Black Night / I'm Not Your Lover / Sometimes I Fell Like Screaming / Woman From Tokyo / No One Came / The Purpendicular Waltz / Rosa's Cantina / Smoke On The Water / When A Blind Man Cries / Speed King / Perfect Strangers / Hey Cisco / Highway Star

Third Night 2 CD
June 16, 1985, Isstadion, Stockholm, Sweden 2 LP
Highway Star / Nobody's Home / Strange Kind Of Woman / A Gypsy's Kiss / Perfect Strangers / Under The Gun / Lazy / Child In Time / Knocking At Your Backdoor / Difficult To Cure / Space Truckin' / Woman From Tokyo / Black Night / Smoke On The Water

Locked In A Paper Cage 2 CD
Irvine Auditorium, Los Angeles, May 23, 1987
Highway Star / Strange Kind Of Woman / The Unwritten Law / Drum Solo / Dead Or Alive / Perfect Strangers / Hard Lovin' Woman / Bad Attitude / Child In Time / Ritchie's Solo /Difficult To Cure / Jon's Solo / Knocking At Your Backdoor / Lazy / Space Truckin' / Black Night / Knees Up Mother Brown / Running Bear / Black Night / Blues / La Bamba / Smoke On The Water 

A surprisingly fresh and energetic performance, Ian's voice in great shape, too. Why am I surprised? Well, because of all the concerts I eye-witnessed from 1976 'til present, the 1987 ones have been the weakest. Usually either Ian or Ritchie (or both) had a bad day....not that night though. And the sound of this boot is pretty good too. It's said that the recording was taken right from the mixer.

Is it to blame on the beers that I had while I'm writing this or do I hear some backing vocals here, especially noticable on The Unwritten Law? Hm, I wonder what that is all about... doesn't sound like Roger though, and I doubt it's Ritchie :-)... Or is it just some new echo loop tricks? BTW: Paicey's drum solo there is very different to what he usually does, at least to me, but I don't understand crap about drumming....

Jon's keyboards sound a bit different, too. More synthie-like, sometimes I'm missing that typical Hammond sound. Was that an adjustment to the American audience or is it just my ears tonight? So, you may wonder how Child worked out. Not too shabby, no, not at all. I'd say it's probably one of the best later attempts. Jon is doing a great job, so is Ritchie and Ian does it without technical cheating, he really *sings* it again, a bit weakening in the second part, but still really acceptable. My respect. An evidence for their "playing mood" that night are these unusual tunes they picked up after BN and also before, during Jon's solo, which also holds some things besides the usual. Ian's in a mood anyway, constantly refering about the dresses and tits in the audience.... Over all, this is a good bootleg and you won't regret spending your money on it, although you can find parts of it on the official "Nobody's Perfect" release.

The Perfect Live Album 2 CD
Zuerich, Switzerland, July 14, 1985 3 LP
Highway Star / Nobody's Home / Strange Kind Of Woman (interpolating Jesus Christ Superstar) / Blues / A Gypsy's Kiss / Under The Gun / Lazy / Child In Time / Knocking At Your Back Door / Difficult To Cure / Space Truckin' / Woman From Tokyo / Black Night / Smoke On The Water

Soundwise it's a good bootleg, starts a bit weaker, gets better later, but the performance..... Ritchie is not happening that night ! In the beginning he's okay, but then loses it for some reason. Well, I guess he and Ian had some differences that night (again) which is noticeable during Jesus Christ and also the encore, when you hear them arguing on stage. He constantly misses his solos and shreds around on that guitar like it was his enemy. Awfull ! On KAYBD Gillan has to sing his solo! Can you imagine that one? He can't even get Difficult To Cure right, fumbling around with his guitar synth.Weird noises from him again during Space Truckin'....   

And I don't know what's wrong with the encore here, but Black Night and Smoke sound like it wasn't Ritchie playing. The "noises" here have nothing to do with the genius we all know, even Ian says: "I can't believe it". Was it that Ritchie had left the stage (which he sometimes used to do) and somebody else took his guitar or was he just refusing himself or completely lost by now? Well, it's strange though.... maybe somebody who eye-witnessed the show can clear that up. 

PreSnake CD
April 6, 1974
Burn / Might Just Take Your Life / Mistreated / Smoke On The Water / You Fool No One / The Mule / Space Truckin'

One more time the California Jam.   See also

Rare Traxx

With Steve Morse

CD
Sunrise, FL, U.S.A. 1995 / Acoustic In Studio South Africa, 1995
Fireball / The Battle Rages On / Ted The Mechanic / The Purpendicular Waltz / Perfect Strangers / Pictures Of Home / Anyone's Daughter / Soon Forgotten / Highway Star / Smoke On The Water. Acoustic: Black Night / Child In Time / Highlander / When A Blind Man Cries / Woman From Tokyo

The complete show from the first part you'll find on  Purple Sunrise.  The acoustic part is *wonderful* !!!  It blew me away. 9.9

Revisit In Far East 2 CD
Place unknown, May 9, 1985 2 LP
Highway Star / Nobody's Home / Strange Kind Of Woman / A Gypsy's Kiss / Perfect Strangers / Under The Gun / Child In Time / Knocking At Your Backdoor / Woman From Tokyo / Black Night / Smoke On The Water

Ritchie's Last Gig 2 CD
Spectrum, Oslo, Sweden, Nov 15, 1993 / Jaahalli, Helsinki, Nov 17, 1993 
Highway Star / Black Night  interpolating: Long Live Rock 'n Roll / Talk About Love / A Twist In The Tale / Perfect Strangers / Ode To Joy - Morning Mood / In The Hall Of The Mountain King / Piano Concerto In A Minor / Knocking At Your Backdoor / Anyone's Daughter / Child In Time / Anya / The Battle Rages On / Lazy / Space Truckin' / Woman From Tokyo / Paint It Black / Mandrake Root / Hush / Speed King / Smoke On The Water / Ritchie Destroys Guitar  Helsinki: Anya / Hush / Speed King / Smoke On The Water

see also

Outtakes & Sessions CD
1970 - 1971
Highway Star / Space Truckin' / Pictures Of Home / Smoke On The Water / Maybe I'm A Leo / Never Before / Lazy / Black Night / The Bird Has Flown / Speed King / Child In Time / Black Night / Jon Stew / Hey Joe / Emmaretta / Kneel And Pray / bonus track: Not Responsible 

Sitar CD
unknown ( early MK II ) LP
Mandrake Root / Wring That Neck / Black Night / Paint It Black

Fireball Over Switzerland

With Satriani

CD

New Zealand, 1000 Copies.

Ramshackle Man / Maybe I'm A Leo / Fireball / Perfect Strangers / Pictures Of Home / Knocking At Your Backdoor / The Battle Rages On / When A Blind Man Cries / Speed King / Smoke On The Water

There's no comments on the cover which concert that's supposed to be. It should be from Festival Ground, St. Gallen, Switzerland, June 26th, 1994. (My personal guess). Well, the cover shows the band with Ritchie, but it's Satch playing. The sound quality is good (show probably taken from a radio broadcast) and if you're one of the twenty-seven people who liked Satch in the band, it might be okay for you. 9.2

Tour De Force CD
MK I , MK II + MK V (Turner)
Highway Star / Smoke On The Water / Maybe I'm A Leo / Fireball / Emmaretta / Ricochet (Speed King) / Speed King / Paint It Black MK V: Burn / Black Night incl: Long Live Rock 'n Roll / Child In Time / Perfect Strangers / Lazy

"Tour De Force" is a sampler kind of thing, if you can say that about a bootleg. It contains "Higway Star", "Smoke", "Leo" and "Fireball" recorded 1971 and 1972 somewhere in Europe (no further information). HS has very different key and guitar solos and it seems that Ian had some problems remembering the lyrics... SOTW doesn't sound like a stage performance to me. Maybe something done at a radio station, my personal guess. Jon does some nice extra soloing. Leo seems to be something like that, too (or a very small club). Fireball is definitely a stage recording (they rarely played that song on stage in those days, as far as I know) but it's a good performance. I'm very sorry not to have more information about the sources, but even the "bootleg pope Ingo F." doesn't have that thing on his list. The next four songs are recorded 1969 in Amsterdam. First is "Emmaretta" followed by an early version of Speed King which was titled "Kneel and Pray" then (not Richochet, as the cover of the CD says). Next is "Speed King", with the final lyrics now and some VERY nice backing vocals. Man, that version is really something! Paint It Black (instrumental) includes an extensive and nice drum solo.

The sound quality of the whole thing is superb!! I was surprised, especially about the 1969 recordings, since I only heard some rather terrible boots from that era. Only Paint It Black sounds a bit hollow, but still good.

The rest of the CD holds pieces of a concert from Philadelphia, 1991. Yes folks, it's the JLT line-up! The songlist is "Burn", a medley of "Black Night, Long Live Rock'n Roll and Child In Time" (NO, he does not try to sing it, THANK GOD ! Only the first part and even the LOTS of echo from the soundboard engineer can't help him on that one). Next song is Perfect Strangers (man can a singer make a difference for a song....). Last track is Lazy, a fast and heavy interpretation. The sound quality of these recordings is acceptable. Only I wonder why there's not a single song from the Slaves album. Did they play any on stage at all ?

The bottom line: this is a great bootleg, especially since it holds some stuff from that Slaves line-up. If you ever get your hands on a copy, don't hesitate!

Worth The Wait 2 CD
Providence , March 5, 1985 2 LP
Highway Star / Nobody's Home / Strange Kind Of Woman / A Gypsy's Kiss / Perfect Strangers / Under The Gun / Lazy / Child In Time / Knocking At Your Back Door / Difficult To Cure / Space Truckin' / Woman From Tokyo / Speed King / Smoke On The Water
LP available in blue and black vinyl

To the  next page  with more Deep Purple bootlegs

Back to the Bootleg  Index

To Ted's    Pages

with more stuff about Purple and their records, on-stage images, concert reviews, backstage pictures and more

Please e-mail  me your comments or questions

©  2001 by Axel Dauer