You'll find cover images, locations, dates, setlists, short reviews with ratings and all the other information I have about the bootlegs here.

The Battle Of Slaves And Masters

CD
Outtakes 1990 - 1993
Ramshackle Man (demo) / A Twist In The Tail (demo) / Anja (demo) / The Battle Rages On (instr. demo) / The Battle Rages On (demo) / Lick It Up (rough take) / Solitaire (demo) / Fire In The Basement (instr. demo) / Fortuneteller (demo) / Slow Down Sister (demo '91) / Jam Session #1 '91 / Jam Session #2 '91 / Jam Session #3 '91 / King Of Dreams (unplugged)

The most interesting part about this piece are the jams and the unplugged KOD version. Joe Lynn and Roger in a radio studio, just great. That alone is worth buying the CD, although I'm not a real admirer of the MK V era.... 9.6

Hammersmith 1974 2 CD
May 9, 1974, London
Burn / Might Just Take Your Life / Lay Down Stay Down / Mistreated / Smoke On The Water / Space Truckin' / Going Down / Blackmore Interview

$ 697.276 2 CD
London '69, '72 / Zürich & Houston '76   (big time doubts here)
August 1969, BBC live: I'm A Racer / Speed King / Ricochet

Feb. 22, 1972, Paris Theatre, London: Highway Star / Strange Kind Of Woman / Smoke On The Water / Never Before / Maybe I'm A Leo / Lazy / Lucille

1976, Zürich: Smoke On The Water / Georgia On My Mind / Highway Star / Not Fade Away / Burn

1976, Houston: This Time Around / Love Child / You Keep On Movin' / Lady Luck / Mistreated

The first song (which they called I'm a racer) is nothing else but Emmaretta. The recording seems to be taken from a vinyl record, you can hear some cracks. Speed King has backing vocals and piano lines that you don't find on the regular cut. What they call Ricochet is actually "Kneel And Pray", the early version of Speed King, with had different vocals to SK. The end of the song is cut off. Actually these three pieces seem to be the very same recordings than on the "Tour De Force" CD. Nevertheless, the sound quality is very good.

Same goes for the next section, the live recordings from London, very good sound quality. "Highway Star" has a slightly different solo. I don't know where they took this from, but SKOW *skips* at one spot, like an old vinyl (but there's no scratching though), I have no clue..... Ian and Ritchie are doing the legandary "duel" here. Between these two songs there's no cut, so they must be from the same gig. SOTW is definitely taken from a vinyl record, you can't miss the scratches and bumps. Ritchie is having little problems with his solo. Some nice extra organ/guitar duel at the end. "Never Before" sounds brilliant and fresh. There's no cut between "Leo" and "Lazy". "Lucille" is pretty nice and powerful. It could be taken from a radio broadcast, because at the fade out you can hear something that sounds like a DJ speaking.

The second CD has the MK IV stuff. There's a lot of riddles about that, too. The cover says the first songs were from Zürich, Switzerland. But, according to all the info I have, this line up has never played in Zürich. They did some gigs in Australia, New Zealand, Asia, then did an extensive leg in the U.S. before they went back to GB where they disbanded March 15th, when David retired in tears, on stage. Anyway, I can't clear that up. The sound of this section is excellent. My guess is that this is from the very same gig as the Burn EP which came as an extra with the "Last Concert In Japan (and an LP called "Highway Star" as well - btw, some of the MK II could also be from this LP, I have to check and compare them one day). "Georgia" is definitely the same as on this bonus EP. The whole section is obviously from the same gig; there's no cuts. The first cut is before "Burn", but soundwise, it's most likely still the same gig.

The next section is claimed to be from Houston. If this is true, it would be Feb. 22, 1976, Sam Huston Collisseum. Some doubts are appropriate here too. It sounds too similar to the "Last Concert" record to me, at least YKOM. "Lady Luck" seems to be from a different source, the sound is different. Mistreated is obviously taken from a vinyl again. If their cover notes would be true, that all this is from that gig in Houston, this would make Tommy the guitar player but it sounds a lot like Ritchie to me.....

Don't take me wrong, I don't want to write this bootleg down, the sound is great and it is interesting, just it's hard to tell what the sources are. I don't trust the cover notes.  

The CD box also holds a 12 page booklet with images. 

When A Blind Man Cries

With Steve Morse

2 CD
Munich, Germany, March 27, 1996

500 Copies

Fireball / No No No / Maybe I'm A Leo / Ted The Mechanic / Pictures Of Home / Black Night / I'm Not Your Lover Now / Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming / Woman From Tokyo / Bloodsucker / Purpendicular Waltz / No One Came / Rosa's Cantina / Smoke On The Water / When A Blind Man Cries / Somebody Stole My Guitar / Speed King + Bonus Tracks

Audience recording, a little hollow, but okay. Very nice job of Steve's on WABMC. Nice guitar/organ duel on Speed King. The cover says "+Bonus Tracks". Those are Perfect Strangers and Hey Cisco. I don't know why they didn't just list them on the tracklist.... They seem to be from the same gig. I wonder what happened to Highway Star though. I doubt they didn't play it that night. It used to be the "night cap" on that tour. A better quality boot from that tour is  Purple Rose Of Hanau. 9.3

In Deep

CD
April 15, 1973, Long Beach Arena, Long Beach, CA.  ( I doubt that ! )
Burn / Smoke On The Water / Georgia On My Mind / Highway Star I / Not Fade Away / Highway Star II / Stormbringer / Discover Your Way / Organ Improvisation / You Fool No One I / Blackmore Solo / Blues Forever / You Fool No One II / The Mule

Definitely the wrong information on the cover. This cannot be from April 1973, since Roger and Ian were still in the band at that time, but here we hear Coverdale and Hughes. Nevermind that Stormbringer was far from even been written...... The same stuff (and same wrong information) like on Star Storm.

Hush CD
1971 / 1972, England
Hush / Child In Time / Wring That Neck / Mandrake Root / Speed King / Paint It Black

Made In Germany CD
Reitstadion, Aachen, Germany, July 11, 1970
Intro / Wring That Neck / Paint It Black / Mandrake Root / Black Night

Purple Sunrise

With Steve Morse

2 CD
March 4, 1995, Musical Theatre, Sunrise, Forida 
Fireball / Black Night / The Battle Rages On / Ted The Mechanic / Woman From Tokyo / Purpendicular Waltz / When A Blind Man Cries / Perfect Strangers / Pictures Of Home / Knocking At Your Back Door / Anyone's Daughter / Child In Time / Anya / Soon Forgotten / Lazy / Speed King / Highway Star / Smoke On The Water
This CD holds the *complete* show. Parts of it you'll also find on  Rare Traxx  and  Blackless Morsemania .

Star Storm

MK IV / MK III

CD
Info on cover is definitely wrong

1000 copies

Burn / Smoke On The Water / Georgia On My Mind / Highway Star I / Not Fade Away / Highway Star II / Stormbringer / Discover Your Way / Organ Improvisation / You Fool No One I / Blackmore Solo / Blues Forever / You Fool No One II / The Mule

see also

This is another pretty questionable piece. The cover says it was from April 15, 1973, Long Beach, CA. The cover also claims it was Ritchie playing. At least that's true for the second part, starting with the organ improvisation, but the first songs are definitely Tommy Bolin. Still the date can't be correct, since we hear Coverdale singing, but at the claimed date Ian was still in the band. The sound quality of the first part (Bolin) is excellent, although Tommy's peformance isn't. The second part (Blackmore) seems to be taken from a vinyl piece, you can hear the cracks. The sound of this part is weaker than the beginning. Both performances sound familiar to me, just I haven't figured out yet where they're from. Although the piece is pretty rare, it's not a must-have. Both gigs are definitely available elsewhere. 7.5

Slave

MK V (Turner)

2 CD
Budokan, Tokyo, June 25th, 1991
Intro / Burn / Black Night / Long Live Rock 'n' Roll / Child In Time / Truth Hurts / The Cut Runs Deep / Hush / Perfect Strangers / Fire In The Basement / Love Conquers All / Difficult To Cure / Knocking At Your Back Door / Lazy / Highway Star / Smoke On The Water / King Of Dreams / Woman From Tokyo

This one is horrible !! No, not just because of the singer..... It sounds like the recording was made at the restroom at the other end of the hallway. No kidding, it sounds like the guy who taped it wasn't even inside the hall. The drums are almost not noticeable, so is the guitar most of the times, and no bass at all. A complete waste of money ! 2.0

Welcome Joe

With Satriani

2 CD
June 22, 1994, Genova, Italy
Highway Star / Ramshackle Man / Maybe I'm A Leo / Fireball / Perfect Strangers / Pictures Of Home / Jon solo / Knocking At Your Back Door / Anyone's Daughter / Anya / The Battle Rages On / When A Blind Man Cries / Lazy / Satch Boogie / Space Truckin' / Woman From Tokyo / Paint It Black / Space Truckin' / Speed King / Smoke On The Water

Smoke On My Mega-Mix CD
Sampler
Painter / Lalena / Might Just Take Your Life / Lay Down, Stay Down (Top Of The Pops Studio Live) / Smoke On My Mega Mix / Mixed Alive / Smoke On H2O / Not Responsible - censored version / Slow Down Sister / Fire, Ice And Dynamite

Toronto 7.2.71 2 CD
July 2, 1971, St. Lawrence, Toronto, Canada
Speed King / Strange Kind Of Woman / Paint It Black / Demon's Eye / Child In Time / Black Night

Yesterday

with Turner

2 CD
March 15, 1991, Hammersmith Odeon, London
Intro / Burn / Black Night - incl. Child In Time, Long Live Rock'n'Roll / Truth Hurts / The Cut Runs Deep - incl. Hush / Perfect Strangers / Fire In The Basement / King Of Dreams / Love Conquers All / Difficult To Cure / Knocking At Your Back Door / Tutti Frutti / A Whiter Shade Of Pale / Yesterday / Lazy / Highway Star / Smoke On The Water / Hall Of The Mountain King / Woman From Tokyo / Smoke On The Water (reprise)

Purple Blitz 2 CD
Jan. 16, 1973, Berlin, Germany

300 Copies

Box
Highway Star / Smoke On The Water / Strange Kind Of Woman / Mary Long / Jon solo - Lazy - Ian solo / The Mule / Space Truckin' / Lucille

Purpendicular Tour 1997 2 CD
March 19, 1997, Sao Paolo, Brazil
Hush / Fireball / Ted The Mechanic / Pictures Of Home / Black Night / Cascades: I'm Not Your Lover - Steve solo / Woman From Tokyo / Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming / Rosa's Cantina / No One Came / Smoke On The Water - Jon solo / When A Blind Man Cries / Speed King - Ian solo / Perfect Strangers / Highway Star

Soundwise the thing is pretty good, but Gillan's voice..... pitiable husky that night. Although, the audience is wild, most likely because they haven't seen Purple in their country for ages.... and, too be fair, the other guys are doing a great job. Still, if you haven't been at this very gig and therefore need it as a souvenir, you don't want to spend your money on this piece, there are way better ones out there from this period. 7.5

Oldenburg '71 CD
April 7, 1971, Weser-Ems-Halle, Oldenburg, Germany
Soundcheck / Intro / Speed King / Strange Kind Of Woman / Child In Time / Into The Fire / Mandrake Root / Outro

Well, what kind of sound quality can you expect from a 1971 bootleg recording, you might say. But this one isn't half as bad as one might think. Okay, the vocals are a bit weak in the mix, but the overall sound is at least very clear, no fluttering, and the guitar and organ, especially when soloing, sound really good. Nice duel during Speed King. Very extensive and unusual inprovisation on Child In Time (the clock stops at 17:20). On Into The Fire Ritchie is a bit out of tune and timing... but Mandrake Root holds some very nice improvisation again, especially from Jon. Ritchie's feedback effects are maybe not everybody's taste, but he got the viola sound even back then. (The clock stops at 23:00 - but the last five minutes are rather weird....) The show (or let's say the CD - I don't know if this holds the complete gig) is way shorter that the one three days later in Offenbach, but anyway, I must say, this is a surprisingly good piece, according to it's time. I think it's worth a ----> 9.0

Würzburg

with Turner

CD
Feb. 23, 1991

That thing is running way too fast !!! I'm not wasting my time saying more, it's  ------>   Trash

Live In Italy 2 CD
May 26, 1971, Rome, Italy
Speed King / Strange Kind Of Woman / Child In Time Mandrake Root / Black Night / Lucille
Kings Of Speed ? 25?

Solo CD
Sampler
Feb. 22, London (cover doesn't mention the year, but I suppose it was 1970 - assuming the day is correct): Space Truckin'

1980, Orpheum Theatre, Boston: Spotlight Kid / Long Live Rock'n'Roll / I Surrender / Smoke On The Water

Steve Morse Wedding Day 2 CD
Dec. 17, 1997, House Of Blues, Chicago, IL
Steve Morse Wedding Ceremony / Hush / Fireball / Into The Fire / Ted The Mechanic / Pictures Of Home / Steve Solo / Black Night / Bloodsucker / Sometimes I Feel Like Sreaming / Woman From Tokyo / 7th Heaven / No One Came / Smoke On The Water / When A Blind Man Cries / Speed King / Perfect Strangers / Highway Star

What a piece !!! Great sound, unbelievable powerful performance of the band. By the way: "7th Heaven" was played for the first time that night. The best gig I've ever heard, plus this historical event to "earwitness". My favourite CD so far, so I'm gonna pull, for the first time, a 10

When Harry Met Sally

With Steve Morse

2 CD
Sep. 27, 1996, Rhein-Neckar-Halle, Heidelberg, Germany
Fireball / Ted The Mechanic / Pictures Of Home / Black Night / Cascades: I'm Not Your Lover / Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming / Woman From Tokyo / The Aviator / Rosa's Cantina / No One Came / Smoke On The Water / When A Blind Man Cries / Speed King / Perfect Strangers / Hey Cisco / Highway Star Bonus: September 16, 1996, Harald-Schmidt-Show, Köln, German TV: Smoke On The Water 

Flying In A Purple Dream

With Satriani

2 CD
Dec. 5, 1993, Yokohama, Japan
Highway Star / Ramshackle Man / Black Night / Maybe I'm A Leo / A Twist In The Tail / Perfect Strangers / Pictures Of Home / Knocking At Your Back Door / Anyone's Daughter / Child In Time / Anya / The Battle Rages On / When A Blind Man Cries / Lazy / Space Truckin' / Woman From Tokyo / Paint It Black / Space Truckin' / Hush / Speed King / Smoke On The Water
There is a bunch of differences to the European setlist that we know from other bootlegs of the Satch era. They did play "Black Night" between Ramshackle and Leo, which was dropped in Europe (why?!) and "A Twist In The Tail" was replaced by "Fireball" later. Anyway, the set here is different, "Child In Time" is (still) on it, so is "Hush", both of which we didn't get to hear in Europe. Well, therefore we have them on this CD....

The sound is superb ! So is the performance, if you liked Satch in the band. I mean, he is a great guitarist, his style is just not my taste. Jon, of course, is mostly carrying the gig, he is super-present all the time, since Satch is new to the songs. But he's doing a good job and this one is a great boot, though. Even big Ian is in good shape, his "Child" performance is surprisingly good, so is the rest of the gig.   

Danish Yodel 2 CD
April 1970, Aarhus, Denmark  (officially they haven't been there....)
Yodel / Speed King / Strange Kind Of Woman / Into The Fire / Child In Time / Wring That Neck / Mandrake Root / Black Night / Lucille

I still have to find out where this recording is really from... My sources say they have been there in 197*1*, April 24th. Well, I don't know, needs more research....

Love Osaka '75

MK IV

2 CD
No information  (but if the lacation is correct, it should be Dec. 11)
Burn / Lady Luck / Love Child / Gettin' Tighter / Smoke On The Water / I Need Love / This Time Around / Stormbringer

The quality of this one is rather weak. And that's not only a matter of the bootlegger, no, the sound of the guitar is badly adjusted and the band's performance, namely Tommy's and Glenn's, is besides any discussion. Tommy's squealing on the guitar is awkward, so is Glenn's "surfing" on the neck of his instrument, or whatever else he's doing there. His vocal parts are... I don't know... just embarrassing sometimes. Best evidence is "Gettin' Tighter", which is a parody in my opinion. Even Jon can't save that gig. What a shame - well, we all know the reasons... Maybe you don't wanna hear that "drama", although it's of course a document of the problems they had back then. 6.0

To the  next page  with more Deep Purple bootlegs

Back to  recent page  with more Deep Purple bootlegs

Back to the Bootleg  Index

To Ted's    Pages

with more stuff about Purple and their records, on-stage images, concert reviews, backstage pictures and more

Please e-mail  me your comments or questions

©  2001 by Axel Dauer