You'll find cover images, locations, dates, setlists, short reviews with ratings and all the other information I have about the bootlegs here.

Into The Fire

CD
1970, Stockholm, Sweden
Into The Fire / Black Night / Speed King / Paint It Black / Mandrake Root

In Your Trousers 2 CD
Nov. 13, 1993, Stockholm
Intro / Highway Star / Black Night / Talk About Love / A Twist In The Tail / Perfect Strangers / Difficult To Cure / Jon Solo / Knocking At Your Backdoor / Anyone's Daughter / Child In Time / Anya / The Battle Rages On / Lazy - Drum Solo / Space Truckin' / Woman From Tokyo / Paint It Black / Hush / Smoke On The Water / Nov. 12, 1993, Copenhagen: Speed King / Smoke On The Water

Really great sound, presumably recorded with DAT. Well balanced, powerful bass as well as clear treble. The performance is definitely not at the high end of their abilities, but we all know what the band's situation was in these days.... Jon's a bit quiet sometimes and Ritchie is missing some timings. Well, the gig is still decent, with maybe TBRO as the technical highlight, and the sound of the recording makes you wanna have this piece anyway. The Copenhagen tracks are a bit weaker in sound quality but still great. 9.8

Live Storm I & II

MK II & MK IV

2 CD
Sampler Italy
Speed King / Child In Time / Black Night  (all demos, 1970) / Strange Kind Of Woman / Smoke On The Water / Space Truckin' (all live 1972, U.S.A.) / MK IV: Burn / Smoke On The Water / Georgia On My Mind / This Time Around / Lady Luck / Highway Star / Wild Dogs / Soldier Of Fortune / Woman From Tokyo / I Need Love

Someone Came

With Steve Morse

2 CD
March 12, 1996, Donauhalle, Ulm, Germany
Fireball / Maybe I'm A Leo / Ted The Mechanic / Pictures Of Home / Black Night / Cascades: I'm Not Your Lover  / Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming / Woman From Tokyo / Bloodsucker / The Perpendicular Waltz / No One Came / Rosa's Cantina / Smoke On The Water / Jon Solo / When A Blind Man Cries / Somebody Stole My Guitar / Speed King / Perfect Strangers / Hey Cisco / Highway Star

The sound is decent for an audience recording, at least it's stable, not as fluttering as most other ones. Gillan with some voice problems from a "cold", especially noticeable on "I'm Not Your Lover" and SIFLS, where Rog and Steve have to help him out  9.2

Let's Go Space Trucking

CD
April 6, 1974

Burn / Might Just Take Your Life / Mistreated / Smoke On The Water / You Fool No One / The Mule / Space Truckin'

One more time the California Jam      see also

Purplemania ! CD
Sampler
Feb 22, 1972, London: Highway Star / Strange Kind Of Woman / Maybe Im A Leo / Never Before / Smoke On The Water  1973, London: Speed King  Nov. 12, 1970, Stockholm: Black Night / Into The Fire  1975, Nagoya: Burn  Outtakes: Highway Star / Space Truckin' / Pictures Of Home / Maybe I'm A Leo / Black Night

Blackmore By Request CD
Sampler
Warming Up - Rainbow (06-12-82) / Cosmic Jazz - Deep Purple (1984 studio outtake) / Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple (BBC studio) / Never Before - Deep Purple (BBC studio) / I surrender - Rainbow (unreleased 1980 instrumental version) / Make Your Move - Rainbow (extended version) / All Night Long - Rainbow (live edited version) / Self Portrait - Rainbow (live 11-20-75) / Mandrake Root - Deep Purple (guitar crush version) / Rock'n'Roll Medley - Ian Gillan Band

Pretty interesting stuff on this one ! Of course you can't ask for too much sound quality, but the "exclusiveness" of some pieces makes up for it. On the first track, hear the MIB practicing all by himself, before somebody joins in with some "finger drumming", not too shabby. Really something else is the "Cosmic Jazz", must be from these two hour tapes that Ritchie will never release. Well, in that case I'm not too sad that the track didn't make it to the album :-) but one can be surprised about their "jazz talents". Tracks 3 and 4 are taken from a radio broadcast. Track 5 unfortunately ends half way. "Make Your Move" (JLT) has studio quality. "All Night Long", JL again, is pretty powerful, although a bit distorted. I wonder what the "edition story" is here... "Self Portrait" is another precious track on this CD, since I don't know of too many other bootlegs holding it; after all it was barely on the setlist during the Dio era. I cannot put this Mandrake Root thing in a place. Sorry, no clue what this is all about. It's extremely wild and I've never heard this before. Maybe Ritchie recorded it in his basement while he was destroying his guitar ? It has no point to me, either - just noise. The last track shows Ian Gillan with Ritchie sitting in. Wow, it is really hard to believe that he would join his best hated mate for a jam on stage... Anyway, here is the proof. I'm not sure about the date of this, but it sounds more like the "Gillan" days, rather than, as mentioned on the cover, the Ian Gillan Band era. Whatever, it's some amazing guitar duel here between Ritchie and whomever else, I doubt it's Fenwick, rather it's Tormé I think. The *gag* at the end of this CD is a message from Ritchie which he dropped on somebody's answering machine.  

A very interesting CD for true collectors. I really wonder where some of these recordings came from.....

A.Band.On.Tour

With Steve Morse

2 CD
June 17, 1998, Schwarzwaldhalle, Karlsruhe, Germany  + bonus Canada
Hush / Bloodsucker / Strange Kind Of Woman / Ted The Mechanic / Pictures Of Home / Fingers To The Bone / Almost Human / Woman From Tokyo / Watching The Sky / Seventh Heaven / Guitar Solo / Smoke On The Water / Evil Louie / Keyboard Solo / Lazy / Perfect Strangers / Speed King / Any Fool Kno That / Highway Star  Dec. 6, 1996, Palumbo Center, Pittsburg, PA: (some sources say they've been there on Dec. 5th, well, I don't wanna argue about that...) Cascades: I'm Not Your Lover / Woman From Tokyo / Rosa's Cantina / No One Came
Great sound. Gillan's voice in pretty good shape, perfect performance over all. Lots of songs from the Abandon album, which sound way better live, if you ask me. They changed that later during this tour, 'coz it didn't work at every place. Most of these songs were dropped off the setlist, sometimes down to only two. So this CD is a good chance to enjoy them. 9.8

Spirit Of Freedom

With Satriani

2 CD

Live At Kilburn CD

Hamburg 1.17.73 CD
Jan. 17, 1973, Ernst-Merk-Halle, Hamburg, Germany
Highway Star / Smoke On The Water / Strange Kind Of Woman / Mary Long / Lazy / Space Truckin' / Black Night

Zürich 3.5.70 CD
March 5, 1970, Zürich, Switzerland
Speed King / Hush / Child In Time / Hard Road / Mandrake Root

More Smoke On The Water 2 CD
3 LP
Box

The Battle

With Satriani

2 CD
Dec. 03, 1993  (no location info on the cover, so I can only guess: think it is from Osaka, Japan)
Highway Star / Ramshackle Man / Black Night / Maybe I'm A Leo / A Twist In The Tail / Perfect Strangers / Pictures Of Home / Knocking At Your Back Door / Anyone's Daughter / Child In Time / Anya / The Battle Rages On / When A Blind Man Cries / Lazy / Space Truckin' / Woman From Tokyo / Paint It Black / Space Truckin' / Hush / Speed King / Smoke On The Water

Excellent sound, great performance. Definitely the best boot of the Satriani era (maybe even one of the best ones ever). After listening to this, I don't even know anymore why I disliked him so much in Kassel 1994... (even left this gig earlier because of him, unbelievable in retroperspective....) Although I still think he is quite emotionless on "When A Blind Man Cries", here you find a surperb show over all. This bootleg is a must-have ! 9.9

Emptiness, Eagles And Snow

With Satriani

2 CD
June 04, 1994, Festpladsen GL, Vardervej, Esbjerg Rock Festival, Denmark  ( and more )
Highway Star / Ramshackle Man / Maybe I'm A Leo / Fireball / Perfect Strangers / Pictures Of Home / Knocking At Your Back Door / Child In Time / Anya / When A Blind Man Cries / Lazy / Satch Boogie / Woman From Tokyo / Paint It Black / Smoke On The Water

June 10, 1994, Bellevueparken, Karlshamn Summer Festival, Sweden:  Anyone's Daughter / The Battle Rages On / Space Truckin' / Woman From Tokyo / Paint It Black / Hush / Black Night / Smoke On The Water with Leslie West sitting in on guitar

June 11, 1994, Heden, Göteborg All Star Festival, Sweden: Speed King

The first part holds the complete Esbjerg show with a different setlist to "The Battle". The gig had to be cut short for time reasons at the festival. The sound quality is pretty good. Gillan is not in his best shape, doesn't ever remember his musical career correctly, announcing "Pictures Of Home" as a song from the "Fireball" album, hmm..... Satriani kinda screws up his solo in KAYBD, trying to be the fastest shredder, and (again) I don't like his interpretation of WABMC. Technicially, yes, but he just doesn't have the blues.... Also pretty weak is WFT.

The sound quality of the second part (Karlshamn) is equally good. The performance has no spectacular moments, business as usual so to speak, well maybe Paicey is outstanding with some extra fill-in's here and there. For the encore SOTW, "Mountain" guitarist Leslie West was sitting in.

The last song, SK from the Göteborg gig, is a bit weaker in sound quality. I guess it was just added by the "producer" of this bootleg to really complete the setlist of this tour. Anyway, nice thought.

This double CD also holds a very professionally done little booklet with some nice shots and info about the gigs. Over all it is a good piece, although I wouldn't call it a must-have.

Radio Show

Naked Thunder Rage 2 CD
Oct. 16, 1993, in Europe (says the cover - it's Stuttgart though)
Highway Star / Black Night / Talk About Love / A Twist In The Tail / Perfect Strangers / Difficult To Cure / Knockin' At Your Back Door / Anyone's Daughter / Child In Time / Anya / The Battle Rages On / Lazy / Space Truckin' / Paint It Black / Speed King / Hush / Smoke On The Water / Not Responsible (promo)

A good sound quality on this one, although it's an audience recording, which is easily noticable through the "conversation" around the bootlegger. Parts of this gig you'll find on the official release "Come Hell Or High Water". KAYBD has a pretty nice different solo of Ritchie's. Big Ian's voice is okay that night, he's even brave enough to do CIT, maybe not the best idea though.... turns out that the technical tricks of the sound guys can't compensate all the problems. Anyway, it's definitely not his weakest night. And also, Ritchie doesn't destroy it either, like on other occasions. Sometimes he's even brilliant again, in a great playing mood, e.g. on Anya and Lazy. On latter he is probably showing the limit of how fast a human being can play a guitar... A lesson for all these Vais, Satches and Malmies who can't even smell there.... The intro to Space Truckin' is what, later, turned out to become "Hall Of The Mountain King". During "Speed King" Ritchie even started the "Burn" riff, something unheard before. He never did MK III things with the MK II line-up. (Assume that pissed Ian off to the max....) Also, his intro to "Smoke" is unique and superb. I'd say this is one of the better gigs of the late Blackmore era. As a bonus we get the Not Responsible promo.

Bottom line is: I think this is a piece you might wanna have.

To the  next page  with  Rainbow  bootlegs

Back to  recent page  with more Deep Purple bootlegs

Back to the Bootleg  Index

To Ted's    Pages

with more stuff about Purple and their records, on-stage images, concert reviews, backstage pictures and more

Please e-mail  me your comments or questions

©  2001 by Axel Dauer