U 225
05:04 to 05:36
+6° to -6°
Eri, Ori

FEATURED OBJECTS: NGC 1788, NGC 1973, NGC 1981, NGC 1980, NGC 1976, NGC 1977, NGC 1982.

NGC 1788
vdB 33, Bernes 98
RA 05:06:53
Dec -03° 21.0'
Bright nebula

West of Orions Belt and about 2 degrees north of Beta Eridani lies this small reflection nebula. Though it may be seen with averted vision in telescopes as small as 3-inch, it will require a 6-inch for a good view. High power helps show the 8' long, cigar-shaped object, which extends southward from a faint double star.

Discovered in 1786 by William Herschel (H V-032) with an 18.7-inch f/13 speculum telescope. He called it "cB, vL, milky, diffused and vanishing, near and sf a bright star."

The Earl of Rosse, observing with a 72-inch f/8.8 speculum telescope, noted "Dec 11, 1850. A small companion preceding and a double star north. Jan 10, 1858. Looks like a faint haze enveloping 3 stars."

Listed by the Herschel Club, described as “small, roughly circular, non uniform. Situated next to an 8th mag star, could be associated with the diffuse nebula. 6-inch, 48x.”

Tom Lorenzin, in the electronic version of "1000+ The Amateur Astronomers' Field Guide to Deep Sky Observing", notes: “11M; 8'x 5' extent; reflection nebulosity surrounds 10M center star; formless, soft glow; 12.5M star just to SSE.”

Le Forbes (Stoke, St. Mary Bourne, Hampshire) observing from Siding Spring, Australia, writes in the The Webb Society Nebulae and Clusters Section Report No. 11, January 1993: "Oval shape around two stars. Uniform surface brightness. No colour detected. (12.5-inch, x76, Seeing A I-II)."

Steve Coe, using a 13” f/5.6, notes: “Pretty faint, pretty large and irregular in the 17.5" at 100X. It looks like a paint splatter with a pretty bright star at one edge. 6" f/6 Sun Valley 6/10 22mm Panoptic Faint, small, round, 2 stars involved, next to 10th mag star. Going to 8.8 mm makes it disappear.”

Steve Gottlieb: 17.5-inch: bright, fairly large, locally very bright surrounding a mag 12 star on the S end. This star appears slightly nonstellar as difficult to separate from bright haze. Extends NW to include a mag 10 star and three other faint stars are involved in the brightest portion. Very faint nebulosity also extends to N and further E. 8-inch: moderately bright reflection nebula, large, brightest in center, two stars involved, extends to E.

NGC 1973
Bernes 114
RA 05:35:04
Dec -04° 44.0'
Bright nebula

Donald J. Ware notes that NGC 1973-75-77 is “a relatively bright region of nebulosity just north of the M- 42 complex. It is large, about 15'x10 and surrounds several relatively bright stars. It would be observed more often if it weren't located so close to M-42, and greatly deserves more attention.”

Tom Lorenzin, in the electronic version of "1000+ The Amateur Astronomers' Field Guide to Deep Sky Observing", notes: “N1975 and N1977 included; includes cluster of six brighter stars 0.5 degrees N of M-42; cluster includes fainter stars, 12 to 13M, >20 in number; unable to distinguish three separate parts as NGC designation would have us believe; OPN CL N1981 just N; Nebulosity is visible surrounding all.”

Steve Gottlieb: 13-inch: extensive bright nebulosity including N1975 and N1977, very large, elongated ~E-W. Involves several bright stars including 42 (V = 4.7) and 45 Orionis (V = 5.3). Irregular and detailed nebula with detached segments. Extends N-S beyond 42 Orionis. Located N of M42 and S of the bright cluster N1981.

Le Forbes (Stoke, St. Mary Bourne, Hampshire) observing from Siding Spring, Australia, writes in the The Webb Society Nebulae and Clusters Section Report No. 11, January 1993: "Almost triangular in shape, with the largest part to the east. KX Ori lies within. NGC 1975 and NGC 1977 are other parts of the same nebulosity, which appear clumped together as virtually one region on blue POSS prints. (12.5-inch, x76, Seeing A I-II)"

NGC 1981
Cr 73
RA 05:35:12
Dec -04° 25.0'
Open cluster

IAAC contribution, Lew Gramer, 7x50 binoculars: Lew calls it a “prominently placed cluster ... just one degree N of the Great Orion Nebula (M42) and actually forms the fourth or "grip" "star" in Orion's sword! This night, 1981 revealed no less than 10 stars to direct vision in the 7x50s, but beneath them essentially NO haze of unresolved fainter stars... This was unusual, but no amount of averted vision or hand steadying would turn up any hint of haze underneath - although perhaps 1-2 more individual stars could be seen intermittently. But, the bright stars formed into two interesting groups: one a crooked N-S line of three mag 7 stars, and the other a "hook" of somewhat fainter stars sweeping from this line out to the W and then S. All in all, a MAGNIFICENT field showing M42, M43, iota & 42 Ori as well!”

Tom Lorenzin, in the electronic version of "1000+ The Amateur Astronomers' Field Guide to Deep Sky Observing", notes: “4.6M; 25' diameter; bright, large, scattered group of 20-plus 8 thru 10M members; includes DBL ST Struve-750 (4.3" separation @ PA 060; 6-8M).”

Steve Gottlieb: 8-inch: bright cluster with about two dozen stars mag 6 and fainter. Very large, scattered. Includes …750 = 6.0-8.0 at 40". To the S is another group of bright stars surrounded by the emission nebula N1973-N1977.

Steve Coe, using a 13” f/5.6, notes: “Bright, large, scattered cluster of 28 stars at 100X. Double star Struve 750 on the NE side. Just north of the Orion Nebula.”

NGC 1976
Orion Nebula
Messier 42, Bernes 117
RA 05:35:24
Dec -05° 27.0'
Bright nebula

This nebula is one of the most dramatic and best known nebulae in the sky. It lies in the Sword of Orion, surrounding the multiple star Theta Orionis, which illuminates it. M42 is the nearest emission nebula to Earth, lying about 500 parsecs away. To the naked eye it appears as a luminous patch, about the size of the Moon. As seen through a telescope, its green tint is obvious to most, while some have even glimpsed red and pink areas.

William Herschel observed it in 1784 with his newly completed 18.7-inch f/13 speculum telescope. He wrote of "the beautiful Nebula of Orion. Its extent is much above one degree; the eastern branch passes between two very small stars, and runs on till it meets a very bright one. Close to the four small stars, which can have no connection with the nebula, is a total blackness; and within the open part, towards the north-east, is a distinct small faint nebula, of an extended shape, at a distance from the border of the great one, to which it runs in a parallel direction, resembling the shoals that are seen near the coasts of some islands." In the Appendix to the 1912 'Scientific Papers of Sir William Herschel' this object is described as "1774, March 1, 20 feet telescope, observed the Lucid Spot in Orion's sword belt; but the air not being very clear, it appeared not distinct. 1774, March 4, saw the lucid spot in Orion's sword thro' a 5.5 foot reflector; its shape was not as Dr Smith has delineated in his Optics; tho' something resembling it, being nearly as follows [Plate III. fig. 37]. From this we may infer that there are undoubtedly chnages among the fixt stars, and perhaps from a careful observation of this spot something might be concluded concerning the nature of it. . . . 1780, February 19. Exactly as described on October 7, 1779 . . . 1780, November 24. The Nebula in Orion is very fine indeed. I perceive not the least alteration . . . 1783, January 31, Theta Orionis. The Nebula is quite different from what it was last year. The 9th star very strong. 1783, September 20, the Neb. in Orion has evidently changed its shape since I saw it last. The star under the nebula is nebulous, 20ft, 200 power. 1783, September 28, Surprising changes in the Nebula Orionis. 1783, November 3. The Nebula in Orion is beautiful, and I see several circumstances which I never observed with other instruments, viz. just close to the four stars it is totally black for a very short space, a few seconds. Below, in the open black part is a small distinct nebula of an extended shape [This is III.1, an appendage to Messier 43]. The eastern branch of the great nebula extends very far; it passes between two very small stars and runs on so far as to meet a pretty bright star. The nebulous star below the nebula is not equally surrounded, but most towards the south; on the north of this lesser nebula it is joined by one still fainter, which makes a rectangular corner by its meeting the small nebula . . . 1784, October 16 .. My small neb. is just under the south following corner of the great one. The 43d is not a nebulous star, the star not being at all in the centre of it; my little one makes a part of it. It is altogether the most wonderful object in the heavens . . . 1810, February 4, Review. 10 feet., The nebulosity is entirely of the milky kind and extends a great way. The 43d is not a nebulous star, but a star which happends to be situated in a place where some of the milky nebulosity of the great nebula happens to be. The star is not central, nor is there any condensation towards the star.

John Herschel, observing with his 18-inch reflector in the mid-1800's, likened it to a "surface strewn with flocks of wool - or like the breaking up of a mackerel sky."

IAAC contribution, Todd Gross (16-inch Newtonian): “This is by far the best astronomical object in this scope. In fact, the view is so good, it far exceeds the beauty seen in photographs. The nebula is a huge emission nebula with filamentary arms, clouds of gas, and dark rifts. Separated by M43 by a broad, glow-free area. I will not try to describe the nebula in detail at this time. Here is an overview though. In my slightly light polluted skies, the 19mm Panoptic at 98x brought out the best wide view. At first glance, the entire complex looked strong, almost electric (radiant) blue-green ( a bit closer to green ). This is the most colorful object I have ever seen bar some doubles and perhaps Jupiter. Color was best maintained at 98x, but was also seen clearly at 210x... and through the binoviewer, also approximately working at 210x. On closer inspection, I could "derive" that the arms, particularly the more well defined arm, using a UHC filter.. was actually reddish. This was more of a grey, but the mere subtraction of green from this area, does give one the impression that with more light throughput, red would be more clearly seen. Color was seen both with and w/o the UHC filter, which mainly enhanced the outer regions of the nebula, nearly doubling it's nebulosity. In the bright center area, (rectangular) surrounding the Trapezium, that is so often seen "burnt-in" to photographs, there were included intricate lacy threads of gas, and a nearly complete "canal" or dark lane cutting almost all the way through it, (bisecting it , but offset) opposite from M43, and opp. from the dark wedge that pokes into it. This was not at all like any photos, much better resolution. The outer arms were lacy, and delicate, very clearly seen, similar to photos,but nearly colorless the further out you go. The Trapezium stars, at the core of the brightest part of the nebula were a bit bloated, due to seeing . 4-5 stars were clearly noted. More on the Trapezium stars (6) was reported on in a separate observation report. M43 looks like it is included in M42, a roundish piece cut off from the main body.”

Donald J. Ware:”The Great Nebula. One of the finest sights in the sky, this nebula is easily visible to the naked eye as the”fuzzy" star in the middle of Orion's sword. It appears distinctly nebulous in binoculars or finder scopes, and shows an amazing amount of detail through the telescope. It is fully a degree in extent, with a wealth of fine curling wisps of nebulosity curving out from the brightest region surrounding the four relatively bright stars known as the Trapezium. On good nights with low power, I have even been able to see colors in this object. The region around the Trapezium appears as a cold steel blue color, wile the wispy regions further away can appear as a soft ruddy pink. Slightly separated from the main nebulosity, is M-43. This nebula is seen as a comma shaped cloud surrounding an eighth magnitude star just north of the Great Nebula. The more time you spend in this area, the more fine detail can be seen.”

Le Forbes (Stoke, St. Mary Bourne, Hampshire) observing from Puimichel, France, writes in the The Webb Society Nebulae and Clusters Section Report No. 11, January 1993: "Extremely detailed nebula, with many wisps and filaments spreading out of the field. Pink tinge visible in M43. (42-inch, x185/x310)"

Tom Lorenzin, in the electronic version of "1000+ The Amateur Astronomers' Field Guide to Deep Sky Observing", notes: “4M; >1 degree extent! the "ORION NEBULA"; illuminated by Theta ORI; defies description! find it-- revel in the wisps, filaments and colors-- and come up with your own!.”

Steve Gottlieb: 17.5-inch: best emission nebula in northern sky, fantastic view under all conditions, bright colored wings sweep to the E and S. The remarkable structure is difficult to describe but includes bays, filaments, knots, nebulous stars and a huge outer loop. Definite colors are visible including pale greens and pinks. Highlighted by the Trapzezium which contains six stars. The bright portion surrounding Theta has an "electric" appearance with dark streaks and a dark wedge = "fish's mouth" intrudes on the NE side. Using an Hß filter, the nebulosity significantly dims in general but there is one outer wing or loop on the W side (oriented N-S) which obviously increases in contrast with the filter!

Steve Coe, using a 13” f/5.6, notes: “Extremely Bright, extremely large, irregular shape, very much brighter in the middle at 100X in the 13". The Great Orion Nebula is certainly a showpiece and it probably is the most observed deep sky object in the Winter sky, it deserves that position of honor. On a night I rated 9/10 for transparency at a very dark site in the Arizona desert the center of the Sword of Orion is fuzzy to the naked eye. In my 11X80 finder the "batwings" feature of the nebula is obvious, with the western side brighter. Going to the 13" at 100X, the nebulosity is larger than the 30' field of view. All 6 six stars in the Trapezium section are seen and a backround of very faint stars embedded in the nebula are at the limit of averted vision. The area around the Trapezium in very, very mottled, like storm clouds. The dark marking called the "fish mouth" appears three dimensional. The dark area is obviously in front of the nebulosity. The dark lane extends beyond the nebula to the NE. Raising the power to 220X will hold 10 of the faint stars in the nebula steady. The central region around the Trapezium has "rays" of nebulosity that extend into the darker region to the south. The Trapezium stars are contained within a "hole" in the nebula, it appears that these stars lit off and blew away the material nearby. At all powers, the nebula is a pale lime green and has pink fringes where the nebulosity is brightest. Overall a spectacular object that no photograph or drawing can truly capture. 13" Sentinel 8/10 38mm Entire sword region just fits, very bright, very, very large, much brighter middle, 57 stars involved incl 4 in Trapezium. Grey-green color and entire circle of Orion Neb. included. 100X a great view, excellent contrast, bright curved wings lead away from Trapezium to the north and south, Fishmouth takes a bite in from the East. WOW!! 6" f/6 Sun Valley 22mm panoptic very bright, very large, irregular figure, much, much brighter middle, many stars involved. A fabulous view of the entire Sword area. Adding the UHC filter makes for a very contrasty view of this famous region.”

David Neilson (Oakland, California, USA), writes in the The Webb Society Nebulae and Clusters Section Report No. 10, July 1992: "Much detail seen near the Trapezium and opposite dark gulf; very convoluted and turbulent appearance. Bluish colour very obvious, as also are the outlying arms, which show a reddish tint. (8-inch)."

Alan Shaffer, using a 10-inch Schmidt-Cassegrain reflector, notes: “Can't resist a view. The seeing in Palos Verdes was great. This object jumped out of the night sky. At 104X, the object more than filled the field. Pale green in color. Noticed that one of the nebula arms extended very far. The dark central region gave great contrast to the beautiful glow. Always a grand view!!”

See also "Visual Astronomy of the Deep Sky" by Roger N. Clark (1990, Sky Publishing Corporation) page 98, and "The Visual Orion Nebula" in Astronomical Scrapbook, Sky & Telescope, November 1975, p299.

15.5-inch f/9 Newtonian: For the most part, astro-photos are a bane to deepsky observers. Many people get turned off deepsky because their scopes don’t show the same breathtaking views depicted on long-exposure photos. I too was disillusioned with the Orion Nebula when I first saw it with my 2-inch refractor -- I was naively expecting to see the writhing gas streamers, etc, etc. A few years later, after nevertheless continuing to scan the sky with the 2-inch, I had the great fortune of getting access to a 15.5-inch f/9 equatorially mounted Newtonian. On that first clear, crisp night, I turned the 15.5-inch on M42. I was observing with a friend of mine, using the lowest power eyepiece we had (110x). He located the nebula, or so he thought. What he had actually found was the fainter M43 nearby. But we were astounded! This was amazing, and we spent a good while studying the nebula. And then, I nudged the old Newtonian a fraction, and M42 drifted silently into view. Wow, what an entrance! There were my writhing gas streamers! The trapezium was easily visible, and the surrounding nebulosity awesome. Equally prominent was the darkening leading to the Trapezium. Most of all, there was a long streamer sweeping away from the main complex. Now I could go back to my earlier 2-inch observations and sketches, and identify the bits I had seen - the trapezium, the winged nebulosity, and the dark nebula. [AS]

NGC 1980
LBN 977 / Cr 72
RA 05:35:24
Dec -05° 54.0'
Open cluster & Bright nebula

Discovered in 1786 by William Herschel (H V-031) with an 18.7-inch f/13 speculum telescope. He called it "Iota Orionis with its neighbouring stars are involved in eF milky nebulosity to a great extent."

Listed by the Herschel Club, described as “31’ south of M42, 14’x14’. Visibility of the nebulosity surrounding bright field stars will be enhanced by using averted anmd by sweeping slowly across the field. A hint of nebulosity is evident using this technique, surrounding iota Ori. Field stars are a brilliant colour of blue-white. Magnitude hard to estimate. 8-inch, 48x.”

Le Forbes (Stoke, St. Mary Bourne, Hampshire) observing from Siding Spring, Australia, writes in the The Webb Society Nebulae and Clusters Section Report No. 11, January 1993: "Surrounds Iota Orionis. Most of the nebulosity is to the east of the star, with a bright patch to the north-west. Comma-shaped. (12.5-inch, x76, Seeing A I-II)"

Tom Lorenzin, in the electronic version of "1000+ The Amateur Astronomers' Field Guide to Deep Sky Observing", notes: “Iota ORI, mag 3.0, 11.5" separation @ PA 141; 3-7M; 0.5 degree S of the "Trapezium" ( Theta ORI); blue-white/yellow; faint nebulosity surrounding Iota ORI is N1980 (H31-5); 10' to ESE is tight, unequal DBL ST, Struve-754 (5" separation @ PA 287; 5.7-8.9M); worth looking for.”

Steve Gottlieb: 13-inch: very faint, large nebulosity of low surface brightness surrounding Iota Orionis (V = 2.8). Very difficult to distinguish from glare of Iota. M42 lies 30' N.

Steve Coe, using a 13” f/5.6, notes: “ Faint, large, irregular, not brighter in the middle at 100X. This nebula surrounds Iota ORI, the end star on the sword of Orion. If you are like me, the first time you looked at NGC 1980, you didn't know that you were looking at an object that has a seperate designation from the Great Orion Nebula.”

NGC 1977
Bernes 114
RA 05:35:30
Dec -04° 52.0'
Bright nebula

Discovered in 1786 by William Herschel (H V-030) with an 18.7-inch f/13 speculum telescope. He called it "The 1st and 2nd c Orionis, and the stars about them, are involved in eF unequally bright milky nebulosity."

Le Forbes (Stoke, St. Mary Bourne, Hampshire) observing from Siding Spring, Australia, writes in the The Webb Society Nebulae and Clusters Section Report No. 11, January 1993: "Largest and brightest of the three [NGC 1973, 1975 & NGC 1977]. About 5' x 1.5' for the brightest part, which has V539 Ori in it. (12.5-inch, x76, Seeing A I-II)"

Steve Gottlieb 13-inch. See description for N1973. This is the portion involving 42 Orinios. Several stars are involved. Bright, very large, elongated. N1973 and N1975 are close W.

Steve Coe, using a 13” f/5.6, notes: “ Bright, large nebulosity that has several stars involved at 100X in the 17.5". The fainter parts of the nebulosity extend to the edges of a 30' field of view.”

NGC 1982
Mairan's Nebula
Messier 43, Bernes 117
RA 05:35:35
Dec -05° 16.0'
Bright nebula

Messier described it as a "star surrounded by nebulosity, 7 seconds north of the great [Orion] nebula."

On 3 November 1783, William Herschel, observing with an 18.7-inch f/13 speculum telescope, logged H III-001 as an appendage to the north of M 43. He called it "vF, S, mE. In the large neb."

John Callender, 8-inch Dobsonian reflector: “An easy glow in the 8-inch while observing M42.”

Tom Lorenzin, in the electronic version of "1000+ The Amateur Astronomers' Field Guide to Deep Sky Observing", notes: “9M; 20'x 15' extent; irregularly shaped emission/reflection nebula; companion and adjacent to M-42; OPN CL N1981 25' due N.”

Steve Gottlieb, 13-inch: large detached piece of M42, mottled outer region, very bright center. Has a large rotated "comma" shape with a dark indentation on the E side. A mag 8 star is embedded. 8-inch: fairly large, irregular, protrudes to the NE, includes a bright star.

Steve Coe, using a 13” f/5.6, notes: “ Bright, large, irregularly round, central star of 8th mag easy at 100X. This detached potion of the Orion Nebula is shaped like a fat comma. Going to 220X, there are several dark lanes across the face of this nebula.”

See also "Visual Astronomy of the Deep Sky" by Roger N. Clark (1990, Sky Publishing Corporation) page 98.

Select a new chart by: Chart numbers | RA & Dec | Constellation | Month

HomeChart IndexResourcesSubscribeCertificatesAboutWhat's New

"Deepsky Observers Companion" (http://www.global.co.za/~auke) Copyright 1998 Auke Slotegraaf. All rights reserved. Uranometria 2000.0 copyright (c) 1987-1996 Willmann-Bell, Inc. Page last updated 1998 March 01