U 364
09:00 to 09:40
-28° to -39°
Ant, Pyx, Vel

FEATURED OBJECTS: NGC 2818, Ru 74, NGC 2818A.

NGC 2818
Mel 96, Cr 206, Rb 82
RA 09:16:10
Dec -36°37.6'
Open cluster

Dunlop 564: "a pretty large faint nebula of a round figure, 6' or 8' diameter; the nebulosity is faintly diffused to a considerable extent. There is a small nebula in the north preceding side, which is probably a condensation of the faint diffused nebulous matter; the large nebula is resolvable into stars with nebula remaining."

h: "A very curious object which reminds me strongly of Messier's 46 [NGC 2437] and IV.39 [NGC 2438]. It is a rich cluster of the VI class; stars 12..14th mag; about 8' diameter; gpmbM; all but a sort of vacuity, in which is situated a pB, R, neb; 40 arcseconds diameter; of a character approaching to planetary, having its edges shading off very rapidly, and being but very little brighter in the middle." On a second occassion he called it "pB, R, vgvlbM from the edge, where it fades off very suddenly; being all but a planetary nebula. Situtated in a sort of vacancy in the preceding part of a fine rich cluster of stars 11..15th mag, which nearly fills the field. It is a fellow object to Messier's 46, with its enclosed planetary nebula IV.39. Plate V, fig.8."

Harrington calls this a rather unimpressive 8th magnitude cluster of about 40 faint stars. He writes: "however, after careful examination, observers will find more than initially meets the eye. On the west-northwest edge of the cluster, casting a gray image, lies the dim planetary nebula NGC 2818A."

Houston notes: "This cluster contains about a score of stars in an area 9' in diameter.

Sanford notes that this 8.2 magnitude cluster is about 9' across and consists of "about 30 faint stars." He adds that at least an 8-inch telescope is needed to see the combination of cluster and planetary nebula (NGC 2818A) well.

Ostuno calls it a cluster of about 40 stars, including a planetary nebula believed to be an actual cluster member.

Steve Coe, observing with a 13” f/5.6, notes: “This same NGC number is applied to an open star cluster and a planetary nebula involved within that cluster. The cluster is pretty faint, pretty large, somewhat elongated, 16 stars were counted across a hazy backround at 135X on a night I rated 5/10, on a much better night (7/10) I called the cluster pretty bright and could resolve 34 members at 150X. The planetary nebula is easy at all powers on the Eastern edge of the open cluster. A few dark lanes are seen in the planetary at 165X, it is light green at all powers.”

11x80: I had expected this cluster to be much brighter, and was surprised when it was only clearly seen with averted vision as a soft, round glow. (suburban skies) [AS]

Ru 74
ESO372-SC017
RA 09:21:03
Dec -37°07.0'
Open cluster

NGC 2818A
PK261+08.01, ESO372-PN013
RA 09:16:00
Dec -36°26.6'
Planetary nebula

This small planetary nebula is situated on the Western edge of the open cluster NGC 2818. Burnham notes that it has a barbell shape.

Harrington writes: "On the westnorthwest edge of the cluster [NGC 2818], casting a gray image, lies the dim planetary nebula NGC 2818A. The nebula measures 38 arc seconds across and appears as a hazy, 13th magnitude disk through my 13.1-inch f/4.5 Newtonian on Long Island."

Sanford says "it is about 40 arcseconds in diameter, faint and located at the western edge of the cluster." Ostuno notes that the planetary appears on photographs as a smaller version of M27, "but in the eyepiece [of a 13-inch reflector at 214x], all I noted was a circular blob of nebulosity."

Houston notes that a 10-inch is probably required to see this nebula, and adds that he has failed with a 12-inch.

The RNGC (Sulentic and Tifft 1973) notes that this is a 10.0 mag planetary nebula.

Select a new chart by: Chart numbers | RA & Dec | Constellation | Month

HomeChart IndexResourcesSubscribeCertificatesAboutWhat's New

"Deepsky Observers Companion" (http://www.global.co.za/~auke) Copyright 1998 Auke Slotegraaf. All rights reserved. Uranometria 2000.0 copyright (c) 1987-1996 Willmann-Bell, Inc. Page last updated 1998 April 05