U 466
11:10 to 13:10
-72° to -84°
Car, Cha, Mus, Oct
Jan-Dec

FEATURED OBJECTS: NGC 4372, ESO020-N005.

NGC 4372
GCL-19, ESO64-SC006
RA 12:25:48
Dec -72°40.0'
Globular cluster

This globular cluster may be No. 67 in James Dunlop's catalogue of 1827. Observing from Paramatta, New South Wales, he used a 9-inch f/12 telescope, describing it as "A star of the 6th magnitude, with a beautiful well-defined milky way proceeding from it south following; the ray is conical, and the star appears in the point of the cone, and the broad or south following extremity is circular, or rounded off. The ray is about 7' in length, and neary 2' in breadth at the broadest part, near the southern extremity. With the sweeping power this appears like a star with a very faint milky way south following, the ray gradually spreading in breadth from the star, and rounded off at the broader end. But with a higher power it is not a star with a ray, but a very faint nebula, and the star is not involved or connected with it: I should call it a very faint nebula of a long oval shape, the smaller end towards the star; this is easily resolvable into extremely minute points or stars, but I cannot discover the slightest indications of attraction or condensation towards any part of it. I certainly had not the least suspicion of this object being resolvable when I discovered it with the sweeping power, nor even when I examined it a second time; it is a beautiful object, of a uniform faint light."

h: "a globular cluster, very faint; large; very gradually brighter in the middle; 6' diameter; resolved into stars of 15th magnitude; rich in stars; a delicate and faint object; has a star 45 N.p., distance 5' from centre. Almost perfectly insulated in a very large space almost entirely devoid of stars, being the smaller and southern lacuna below the great 'coal sack'." On a second occassion, he recorded it as "cluster, class VI. Rich; faint; large; round; very gradually a little brighter in the middle; 8' to 10' diameter; stars discrete, 12, 13..16 mag; insulated; has a star 6th magnitude just out of it, N.p." The NGC records it as "globular, pretty faint, large, round, stars of magnitude 12..16".

Bennett observed it with a 5-inch short-focus refractor, including it in his list of cometary objects as number 50. His coded description describes it as an extended object, very faint, easily missed.

Colin Henshaw (Maunatlala, Botswana), observing with 12x40 binoculars, writes in the The Webb Society Nebulae and Clusters Section Report No. 10, July 1992: " . . . south preceding Gamma [the globular cluster NGC 4372]. The latter object seemed fan-shaped, spreading out from a sixth magnitude star North preceding."

ASV Journal Vol 24 No 3 June 1971: "faint and nebulous in 5-inch 64x."

11x80: In 11x80 binoculars this cluster is all but invisible; averted vision shows a faint nebulous haze east of a 7th mag star. The cluster contrasts well with the better known NGC 4833 some 3 degrees east. In strong moonlight, it can just be glimpsed faintly, but I’ve never been able to see it during Full Moon. (suburban skies) [AS]

2-inch refractor, 20x:: A two-inch refractor shows a hazy patch of light, extending towards a bright triangle of stars to its east. Although the Uranometria 2000.0 shows a star on the fringe of the globular, I see a definite gap between this star and the globular. Leading off to the south of the bright triangle mentioned earlier is a short arc of three small stars, as well as 2 fainter stars more south. (suburban skies) [AS]

8-inch Meade: Very large faint roundish smudge of light, in a not so busy starfield. Faint star outliers with one bright yellow star to the edge of this globular cluster. [MS]

ESO020-N005
Fi 74B
RA 12:45:01
Dec -78°48.6'
Bright nebula

Select a new chart by: Chart numbers | RA & Dec | Constellation | Month

HomeChart IndexResourcesSubscribeCertificatesAboutWhat's New

"Deepsky Observers Companion" (http://www.global.co.za/~auke) Copyright 1998 Auke Slotegraaf. All rights reserved. Uranometria 2000.0 copyright (c) 1987-1996 Willmann-Bell, Inc. Page last updated 1998 March 01