EVERYBODY IS STUPID EXCEPT ME: ISSUE ONE

by Paul :)

Happy new year! Sort of. If this zine had been finished on time, that'd be appropriate and, even though it'll be March by the time this gets printed, I'm still gonna write about my new year's resolutions. Actually, they're not really new year's resolutions cos they're a bit pathetic, but here's five ways I'm gonna try to improve my life in (the rest of) 1998:

(1) EDUCATE MYSELF MORE. Although I'm in uni, academic education only goes so far. There are many other things that I really should know more about. For example, I should increase my political awareness by doing more than just listening to Propagandhi. Like, just what does anarchism entail? I'm not sure, and I bet many of you out there aren't either. I do have vague ideas about my political beliefs, but I need the necessary knowledge to back them up.

(2) EAT LESS MEAT. I eat meat, and I feel it is up to the individual as to whether one eats meat or not. However, I cannot justify why I eat meat, so I'm going to try to cut down and maybe eventually stop altogether. I feel so guilty when I buy sausages at the supermarket while listening to Propagandhi on my personal stereo (hey, they got two mentions in my column already!). I'm also going to try to cut down on McDonald's food, cos it's overpriced crap from an evil corporation. Now I'm gonna get my ass sued.

(3) BUY MORE ZINES I always buy zines if I see them at gigs or in stores, but I rarely write off for them. That's gonna change - in fact, I've already written off for more than ever this year. I'm gonna start writing off for more new zines especially, as they need support a little more than the established, "famous" ones. Zine take a lot of effort to write, so everyone reading this should do the same, perhaps starting with Scary Sheep #2 in June.

(4) WRITE DAILY. Whether it's a letter, some zine stuff or just some rambling bollocks to myself, I will try to write at least one non-academic piece every day. Writing improves with practice, so I figure that if I write daily I'll be a literary genius by the time I'm 25. Then again, maybe not. I'll never be as skilful as Dr. Frank, that's for sure.

(5) READ A WIDER RANGE OF MATERIAL. All I seem to read for pleasure these days are zines and comics, and while both are excellent mediums there's a lot more out there. I only read one or two novels last year, but there are millions out there that I'd like to read. It's far too easy to veg out in front of the TV. "Read a book" may not be what you'd expect to see in a punk zine, but I don't care. So there.

Maybe if everyone else out there implemented these five ideas into their lives the world would be a better place to live in. Actually, it probably wouldn't make any difference at all, but your lives would be enriched. Then again, maybe you are all doing this already and it's just me who's crap, so perhaps I should shut up now. Yes, shut up. That's a good idea. Enjoy the rest of the zine. For the love of God, please enjoy it!

Issue Two:
Paul
Sarah Kerr
Jack Anderson
Christie Road
Davey Puppet

Issue One:
Paul
Emma T
Davey Puppet
Sarah Kerr

home  columns  interviews  reviews  shop  guestbook  links