2. Biography - KIM CARNES: The First Lessons Of Life

Português PORTUGUÊS

2. The First Lessons Of Life

When she was 18, she began to work night-and-day.

GUILHERME CORRÊA

San Marino H.S. Yearbook (1960)
Kim Carnes - San Marino High School yearbook - 1960

When she was 14, for instance, Kim and a friend with whom she had performed, formed an adolescent singing duo player (Kim & Jane).

When she was 14, for instance, Kim and a high school friend named Jane with whom she had performed, formed an adolescent singing duo (Kim & Jane), virtually walked from one end of Sunset Boulevard street to the other trying to sell their act. 

"We'd skip school and go over to the Sunset Strip and we'd drive up and down looking to get a record deal, passing all the different recording studios, thinking that it was one and the same - a studio was a record company," Kim said to Yardena Arar (Associated Press Writer) in 1980.

They finally found a producer who said he'd make a demo record of them for US$200. Each girl hit their parents up for US$100, which they promised to pay off by washing cars and doing household chores.

"I played the piano, and we sang, I think four songs. And afterwards, he gave us a green vinyl acetate record that we were thrilled with until we took it home and played it probably four or five times, and then the qualitity went quickly downhill. It turned to very scratcht and was unplayable" - Kim confessed to Ken Paulson in a 2003 interview.

S.M.H.S. yearbook (1961)
San Marino High School yearbook - Kim Carnes - 1961

Kim Carnes at 16.

The producer told them he was going to Australia for six months, and he'd be home and was gonna make them huge, big stars.

"Well, of course, we, after about three or four months, got antsy, went back to the studio to see, just in case, did he come home early, and, ah, it had turned into a travel agency, so - lesson number one. Also a lesson that you're not supposed to pay them. They're supposed to you to make the record." - Kim said to Ken Paulson in a 2003 interview.

That lesson was useful to Kim. After that, she thinks twice before trusting in someone or making a decision on her career. Meanwhile she had one decision made against her will and attended University (USC) because it was the dreams of her parents. After 6 months, she stopped her studies to sing demos, commercials and back up vocals.

"I've never wanted a conventional life", Kim said in one Rolling Stone interview, and she added too: "I wouldn't call myself a rebel. I just knew there was another life... over there."

When she was 18, she began to work night-and-day. By day, she recorded "jingles"; by night, she performed live in local clubs. "I did that for years. It was the only way I could get any studio experience. But I did meet a lot of producers and other people in the record business".

Home | Search Site | Release | News | Show | F.A.Q. | Biography | Discography | Singles | Compilation | Participation | Remixes | Gold & Platinum | Compositions | Soundtrack | Hits | Lyrics | Declarations | Grammy | Stories Told & Untold | Score | Gallery | Backstage | Autograph | We Are The World | Movie | Video - TV - Radio | Links | View The Guestbook | Sign The Guestbook | E-MAIL |

Click here   for Kim's new album   Chasin' Wild Trains
Click here   for Kim's Official Website