4. Biography - KIM CARNES: The First Album (1971)

Português PORTUGUÊS

4. The First Album (1971)

In the early Seventies, she performed live in England as a backing singer for then-teen idol David Cassidy. From Cassidy, she learned first-hand that commercial success at any price is not always worth it.

GUILHERME CORRÊA

Ken Kim (1971)
Kim Carnes - 1971 - Photo by Ken Kim

Carnes and her husband Dave Ellingson have collaborated on song recorded by Frank Sinatra ("You Turned My World Around")

After a sucessful spell writing and perfoming jingles and singing on sonwriter' demo tapes, Jimmy Bowen signed the Kim and Dave to a publishing deal - where they would work alongside the likes of J.D. Souther and Glenn Frey - and for Kim the icing on the cake set when Bowen's Amos imprint schedule her debut long-player, "Rest On Me," for domestic release in December 1970. 

"Jimmy Bowen signed me to my first publishing deal, and, we started making demos for publishing. And, really, the demos kind of gradually turned into, 'Well, let's make an album.'" - she confessed to Ken Paulson in a 2003 interview.

A critical winner if not excessive retail attractor, Kim's showcase found her accompanied by talents the like James Burton and Larry Carlton and ex-Cricket, pianist Glen D. Hardin.

Kim would link up again with rockabilly legend Jimmy Bowen 18 years later for her first album for MCA, "View From The House."

Kim wasn't husky in 1970. Her raspy voice is a result of the smoke-filled night club, late night performances, and a few too many wine spritzers.

"Rest On Me" show her capable of delivering everything from gospel and country to pop. 

According to one reviewer in Billboard: "Right in line with the fast selling Carole King, Carly Simon, Gayle McCormick types, this debut offers that same type of commercial appeal for Top 40, FM and MOR. With traces of the style of the above mentioned ladies, Miss Carnes is at the same time distinctive in her own right and could easily happen big the first time out. Strong cuts include "It Takes Time," "Sweet Love Song To My Soul," and "To Love Somebody."

If not the firestarter she'd dreamt of "Rest On Me" nevertheless alerted vocalists already further up the ladder to the Carnes/Ellingson partnership's existence, and as they continued to write, demo and distribute new offerings to their growing catalogue of aurally-edible confections to anyone prepared to listen, it was surely only a matter of time before a major label an inky quill.

Ken Kim (1971)
Kim Carnes - 1971 - Photo by Ken Kim

Carnes wasn't husky in 1970. Her raspy voice is a result of the smoke-filled night club, late night performances, and a few too many wine spritzers.

"I started getting cuts on other people's album, before I started recording my own songs. And it was great, because as I was making records and waiting for them to happen, waiting to get a hit, songs were being recorded by other artists, so that was really neat." - she confessed to Ken Paulson in a 2003 interview.

In the early Seventies, she performed live in England as a backing singer for then-teen idol David Cassidy. From Cassidy, she learned first-hand that commercial success at any price is not always worth it. "I remember seeing him at the height of his success feeling completely unable to enjoy it and I promissed myself that would not happen to me," says the raspy-voiced vocalist with the down-to-earth personality. Not all early memories of England were so negative: Carnes was so taken with the name Collin that she gave it to her first-borned son.

Kim and Dave also wrote a column "On The Road With David" in "Tiger Beat" magazine  about being on the road with David Cassidy.

As a backing singer she's recorded with David Cassidy ("Rock Me Baby" LP - 1972, "Dreams Are Nuthin' More Than Wishes" LP - 1974), Stephen Michael Schwartz (1974), B.W. Stevenson ("Calabasas" LP - 1974) and Jim Stafford ("Spiders And Snackes" - 1974).

Carnes and her husband Dave Ellingson have collaborated on songs recorded by Frank Sinatra ("You Turned My World Around"), David Cassidy ("Song For A Rainny Day," "Some Kind Of Summer," "Can't Go Home Again," and "It's Preyin' On My Mind") and Nancy Sinatra ("Fell In Love With A Poet"), keeping themselves comfortably off the dole while they waited for Kim's career to take off. Carnes-Ellingson songwritting reputation grew.

Home | Search Site | Release | News | Show | F.A.Q. | Biography | Discography | Singles | Compilation | Participation | Remixes | Gold & Platinum | Compositions | Soundtrack | Hits | Lyrics | Declarations | Grammy | Stories Told & Untold | Score | Gallery | Backstage | Autograph | We Are The World | Movie | Video - TV - Radio | Links | View The Guestbook | Sign The Guestbook | E-MAIL |

Click here   for Kim's new album   Chasin' Wild Trains
Click here   for Kim's Official Website