clear-dot.gif (809 bytes)

All graphics and tutorials on this site are copyright � 1998/1999 by Dr. Jo Ann/Visual Sonnets.

Please, see the Terms of Usage on the Sets page for use of graphics.  Tutorials may not be reproduced without express written permission of the author.

candycorn-linkback.jpg (2994 bytes)

Making Seamless Tiles Using Tubes

I use the accelerator keys extensively and have found them to be particularly time-saving in the method presented below.  When an operation is first mentioned, I will also indicate the accelerator keystrokes in brackets.  If two keys are joined by a "+" sign, then hold the keys down simultaneously.   When the ALT key is used, the keys following the semi-colon and separate keystrokes from the ALT sequence.

1. Open a new image 200x200 with a black background.  Add a new layer [ALT + L; L].  Lets assume this is called Image1.
  2. Choose the Candy Corn picture tube which ships with PSP 6 or download it from the JASC site.
  3. Set the scale to 50%.
  4. step1-thmb.jpg (2948 bytes)Begin to randomly place candy pieces on the image one at a time.  Be very careful not to go over and edge.  If you do, or if you don't like how a piece of candy "fell", just hit "undo" [CTRL + Z] to remove the candy piece.   Don't try to be too "regular", but get an nice even filling without going across any edges.  Do this until the image is nicely full.  You should have an image which resembles the thumbnail to the right.  (The white border is just added for clarity in presenting the thumbnail on a black background.)
  5. Download the file "base-for-selections".  Unzip it and open the image in PSP.  This image will just look like a 200x200 black square, but it has the selections needed for the next steps saved to the alpha channel.  I find this faster and easier to work with than having the selections saved to the hard drive as *.sel files.  If you chose to work with a file whose size is not 200x200, then you will need to create your own selections which divides the image into quadrants and right and left and upper and lower planes.  I find it best to do this by double clicking the selection tool and entering the numeric values.  If you use the selection rectangle directly, be sure that there is no anti-aliasing or feathering.
  6. Open another file which is 200x200, black background and add a new layer.  Lets call this Image2.
  7. With Image1 active, from the selections pulldown choose "load selection from alpha channel".  [Alt +S; then O]  There is a pulldown for "Available Documents".  Make sure that "base-for-selections" is chosen.  When presented with a list of choices for the alpha channel, select "upper-left".  Copy this selection [CTRL + C].
  8. With Image2 active, load a selection from the alpha channel, but choose "lower-right".step2-thmb.jpg (1259 bytes)
  9. Do a "paste into selection" [Shift + CTRL + L]  Image2 should look like the thumbnail to the right.
  10. Repeat Step 7, but now choose "lower-right" for the alpha channel on Image1.
  11.   Repeat Step 8, but now choose "upper-left" for the alpha channel on Image2.
  12. Repeat Step 9.
  13. Do Steps 7 - 9 for "upper-right" to "lower-left" and "lower-left" to upper-right".  You can do these quadrant exchanges in any order, step3-thmb.jpg (3123 bytes)but it is best to develop a pattern so you don't have to think to much about it.  A thumbnail of Image2, at this stage, is show at the right.   Below is a list of how a quadrant in Image1 maps to a quadrant in Image2.
    • upper-left  ->  lower-right
    • lower-right  ->  upper-left
    • upper-right  ->  lower-left
    • lower-left  ->  upper-right

14. In the thumbnail above, you can see that there is a big "cross" step4-thmb.jpg (3067 bytes)in the center of the image where.  This corresponds to the edges in Image1 where we were trying to avoid placing candy which covered a border.  In this step, we need to go back and fill in the holes.   Again, avoid going over the edge, but don't be too "regular" in placing the candy pieces.  You may want to do this on another layer and then merge the non-background layers so it is easier to get back to a "known" state if you don't like what you come up with.  <G> A thumbnail of the result is seen to the right.  Now, this seems to look pretty good, but I really wouldn't be happy with the way it tiles.  Go here to see what I mean.
  15. If you used another layer in Step 14, merge it with the layer immediately below, but not with the black background.  You may want to repeat Steps 6 - 14 a few more times depending on how much seems to be "missing" from the edges.  I did another iteration, in this example.  Whatever you end up with becomes the "Image2" of the next steps.
  16. Open another file which is 200x200, black background and add a new layer.  Lets call this Image3.
  17. Using Image2, load the selection from the alpha channel called "upper-half".   Copy this selection.
  18. On Image3, load the selection from the alpha channel called 'lower-half".
  19. Do a paste into selection on Image3.
  20. Repeat Steps 17 - 19 for "lower-half" copied from Image2 and pasted into the "upper-half" of Image3.
  21. Open another file which is 200x200, black background and add a new layer.  Lets call this Image4.
  22. Using Image3, load the selection from the alpha channel called "left-half".   Copy this selection.
  23. On Image4, load the selection from the alpha channel called 'right-half".
  24. Do a paste into selection on Image4.
  25. Repeat Steps 22 - 24 for "right-half" copied from Image3 and pasted into the "left-half" of Image4.
  26. You may want to iterate on Steps 16 - 25 a few more times to get a good tile in which the repeat is difficult to detect.  The finished product is the background tile on this page.

Notes:  This example, using the Candy Corn tube from JASC, is very vibrant, to say the least.  There is no way to put content on top of this background and maintain readability.  I have chosen a table structure with very simple horizontal rules for this tutorial.  Other suggestions include using the tile as part of a border background, making the tile the background for a frame structure with buttons to link to other pages, or desaturating the tile so that text would show up.   I don't think the last option is a good choice for this particular tile, but I wouldn't rule it out for other motifs.  You can see another example of this technique at "holidays" page for my breeder.

Also, there would be no need of much of the manipulation in this and the layered tiles tutorials if PSP supported "wraparound", as does Painter.   (Just my 2 cents worth of kvetching.  <GGG>)

jlantern-cat.jpg (3962 bytes)E-mail me with questions or comments.

pumpkin-back.jpg (1827 bytes) pumpkin-up.jpg (1676 bytes) pumpkin-next.jpg (1778 bytes)

Last

Sandbox

Next (soon)

pumpkin-home.jpg (1835 bytes)Return to Visual Sonnets Introduction.

clear-dot.gif (809 bytes)This page last modified 10/26/99
clear-dot.gif (809 bytes)clear-dot.gif (809 bytes)