vs-intro-welcome.jpg (17142 bytes)

?

What is a Sonnet?

vs-circle-bar.jpg (3879 bytes)

Definition of a Sonnet From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary

Sonnet \Son"net\, n. [F., fr. It. sonetto, fr. suono a sound, a song, fr. L. sonus a sound. See {Sound} noise.] 1. A short poem,-- usually amatory.  2.  A poem of fourteen lines, -- two stanzas, called the octave, being of four verses each, and two stanzas, called the sestet, of three verses each, the rhymes being adjusted by a particular rule.

vs-fleur-bar.jpg (4467 bytes)

If the above is a description of a literary sonnet, what am I calling a "Visual Sonnet"?

To me, the essence of writing a sonnet it to create beauty and convey meaning within a tightly structured format.  It is to work within self-imposed constraints to discover just how much one can accomplish.
I define a visual sonnet, then, to be an image created according to a set of rules adopted by the artist.  It is hoped that such an image will also be beautiful and convey meaning.
Shakespeare composed some of the most sublime poems in the English language in sonnet form.  They are exquisite gems.
Wordsworth wrote a marvelous sonnet called "Nuns fret not at their convent's narrow room" in which he compares the confinement of the sonnet form to that of a nun's room or a hermit's cell.  But within these spaces and places, all find contentment in their circumscribed venues.

In creating images, what constraints have I chosen to place on myself?

I've only come up with a few rules, so far, but all of the images on these pages are done with the following limitations in mind:

Use image editing programs which cost under $100 US.
Construct images from fairly simple sources such as fonts, dingbats and B&W (1-bit) GIF's.
Supplement the above with legitimately obtained clip-art and photos.

vs-fleur-bar.jpg (4467 bytes)

What are the results of such constraints?

They are the "Visual Sonnets" found at this site.

To discover how some of these techniques are applied, please visit the Sandbox.  Here you will find tutorials such as one on creating the Stained Glass Effect, some PSP5 tubes, BladePro presets, and other ideas with which I am currently playing.
You may also visit a page with graphics sets for websites.   I will admit that none of these sets are complete.  If you want additional elements, please e-mail me with your requests.
There is also a page of links.  This are sites from which I derive inspiration and useful information.  Web-rings are located here, as well.

E-mail me Please e-mail me with comments or questions.
To VS Entrance Links, Rings, etc. Graphics Sets Tutorials and more
All graphics on this site are copyright � 1998-1999 by Dr. Jo Ann/Visual Sonnets.

vs-main-linkback.jpg (3665 bytes)      Use of the graphics on this page is reserved for Visual Sonnets.   Please, see the Terms of Usage on the Sets page for use of other graphics.

bon_jan.gif (4771 bytes)

Visual Sonnets received this beautiful award for "Best of the Net" for January 1999 from the Mining Company.   What a wonderful way to begin a new year - the penultimate of the decade, century and millenium.  Thank you so much, Bobbie!!

wcafs.gif (2420 bytes)

Visual Sonnets was honored to be chosen

Featured Site of the Week for Jan. 1, 1999 at the Mining Company's Web Clip Art Guide

This page was last modified on 01/22/99