FC Navigation Console FortuneCity ad
All graphics and tutorials on this site are copyright � 1998/1999 by Dr. Jo Ann/Visual Sonnets.

Please, see the Terms of Usage on the Sets page for use of graphics.  Tutorials may not be reproduced without express written permission of the author.

cc-holly-linkback.jpg (3825 bytes)

cc-holly-title.jpg (24704 bytes)

Making Layered Backgrounds

cc-holly-bar1.jpg (6449 bytes)

It is assumed that the user is familiar with PSP5 and comfortable working with layers.

In this tutorial, we will use Paint Shop Pro 5 to create a tiling background which has several layers and gives the illusion of depth.  Variations and sources are discussed in the notes.

cc-holly-bar2.jpg (6047 bytes)

Step 1 Open a new image.  I wanted to end up with a tile which is 100 x 100, so I made my new image 200 x 200.  This just makes the math a bit easier to do in your head.  I made the background white.
Step 2 On a new layer, lay down an outlined square with a border width of 1.   I used the red of my candy cane.  Center it and make it 100 x 100.  This is a "throwaway" layer, but I wanted to be able to see how my other layers were falling within the 100 x 100 confines.
Step 3 Create a new layer.  Choose a dingbat, clipart selection or tube that you like, and place a copy of it on each of the four corners of the square.  You need to do this precisely.  That is, place one each at coordinates (50, 50), (50, 150), (150, 50) and (150, 150).  Defloat all selections to form a single layer.  You now have a layer which will tile on a 100 x 100 grid no matter how you translate it, flip it, mirror it or rotate it through 90 degree increments.
Step 4 Repeat the above, but as you lay down each selection, rotate it through a fixed angle.  I used 60 degrees to the right for the candy canes and got good results.  It is important to rotate each corner individually rather than the whole layer.  If you think about the geometry, you will see why. Defloat all selections so that you have a single layer which again will tile through the above transformations.
Step 5 Now, go to town creating duplicates of the above layers.  Mirror, flip, and rotate these layers though 90 degree increments.  You may want to perform more than one of the above operations on each layer.  Then, begin moving them around with respect to each other until you have a pleasing pattern.  Try not to make the pattern too dense, and avoid having elements in one layer overlap those in another.   That will come in the second part of this technique.  I suggest saving this image in PSP format as a master that you can go back to.
Step 6 Once you have the effect you want, duplicate the above image.  Turn off visibility for the background and the "throwaway" square layers.  Merge the visible layers.  Select the 100x100 center of the square, copy and then paste as a new image.  I'll call this new image candy-cane-base.
Step 7 Repeat Steps 1-6, but now use another dingbat, clipart selection or tube.   I chose a holly leaf in green.  The end product is another image which I'll call holly-base.
Step 8 Repeat Steps 1 and 2.
Step 9 Create a new layer, and flood fill it with the candy-cane base pattern.   Duplicate this layer.
Step 10 Repeat Step 9 using the holly base pattern.
Step 11 Rearrange the layers so that you have candy canes alternating with holly.   You may want to throw in another candy cane layer on top.
Step 12 Basically, repeat step 5, but now you want the images to overlap a bit.   Don't try to be too regular, but strive for something which is balanced so that it will tile nicely.
Step 13 Above each of the candy cane or holly layers, place a new layer and flood fill each of them with white.
Step 14 Now, it is time to adjust the opacity of the layers to get the effect you want.  I set each of the white layers to 20% and the colored layers to 80%.   Make sure you save this whole thing in PSP format as a master.  You don't want to have to recreate this if you want to adjust something.
Step 15 Repeat step 6, but don't turn off the background since you want that to be part of the tile.  The result is a tile which can be used as a tiling background or as part of other graphics as a fill.

glass-cc-bt.jpg (933 bytes)glass-holly-bt.jpg (978 bytes)glass-cc-bt.jpg (933 bytes)glass-holly-bt.jpg (978 bytes)glass-cc-bt.jpg (933 bytes)

Note 1 This technique was inspired by a background which was a non-linkware part of PeeLee's Lagoon.  I was going to point y'all to this, but, as of yesterday (12/21/98) she moved servers and redid her site.   That background is no longer available for viewing.  :^(  In any event, thanks for the inspiration, PeeLee.  Make sure you visit her site for the stunning and truly original sets she has there.
Note 2 The rotating in steps 4 and 5 are not necessary if your dingbat, is symmetrical.  I did a snowflake background for Amron Silky Terriers Christmas page which did not use rotating in those steps.  I was going to point you to that site, but it will come down after the holidays, so I will just include an example here so you can see what I mean.  In this case, I used a white dingbats and made the interleaved layers a solid blue flood fill.

dark-snowflake-tile.jpg (4314 bytes)

Note 3 For both the above tile and the one used in this set, you may want to adjust the opacity of the layers as you make other graphics components.  I lighten things up when I intend to use text over the tile.
Note 4 Another case where you might not want to rotate, flip or mirror is if the image would look silly in the wrong orientation.  I want to make a set which is layered fish.  Obviously, I don't want some of those swimming belly up!  In that set, I will flood fill the interleaved layers not just with a solid color, but also a subtle texture so that it will more closely approximate looking at fish through water.
Note 5 The candy cane and holly dingbats I used came from Skeldale House Treasures.  You must visit there for the wonderful tubes, tube links, brushes and dingbats.  The dingbats are shareware and very reasonably priced.  Thank you so much, Missi, for sharing your talent and your lovely site.
Note 6 The tubes I used came from Barry and Marg Davies.  These tubes were absolutely perfect both for this set and the one I did for Amron Silky Terriers. A heartfelt thank you goes out to Barry for redoing some of the glass ball tubes without the sparkle.  You can find a tribute to their special friend "Foster" on the sets page which corresponds to this tutorial.  You will also find a JavaScript Terrier Tic-Tac-Toe, there.

glass-cc-bt.jpg (933 bytes)glass-cc-bt.jpg (933 bytes)glass-cc-bt.jpg (933 bytes)glass-cc-bt.jpg (933 bytes)glass-cc-bt.jpg (933 bytes)

And finally, Happy Holidays Y'all.  May the Peace, Joy and Blessings of the Season abide with You and Yours now and through the New Year - Jo Ann

glass-holly-bt.jpg (978 bytes)glass-holly-bt.jpg (978 bytes)glass-holly-bt.jpg (978 bytes)glass-holly-bt.jpg (978 bytes)glass-holly-bt.jpg (978 bytes)glass-holly-bt.jpg (978 bytes)

cc-holly-mail.jpg (3837 bytes)      E-mail me with any questions or comments.

cc-holly-bar1.jpg (6449 bytes)

cc-holly-last.jpg (1234 bytes)

cc-holly-up.jpg (1493 bytes)

cc-holly-next.jpg (1257 bytes)
Last

Sandbox

Next

cc-holly-bar2.jpg (6047 bytes)

This page last modified on 10/26/99.