Nippur at the Center of the Map

Here is a map prepared by architect and archaeologist Clarence Fisher to show Nippur's central location in Sumer and Akkad. Some updating of names has been done.

Map Showing Nippur's Central Location

Ever-widening Circles

The map shows Nippur in a central location between Kish (or Akkad) in the north and Kengi (or Sumer) in the south. Prof. Fisher indicates by the circles what is within 50 km. (about 31 miles) of Nippur, what is within 100 km. (about 62 miles), what is within 150 km. (about 93 miles), and what is within 200 km. (about 124 miles).

Nippur was not a royal capital. Throughout its history, its religious and political leaders recognized the authority, demands and gifts of various royal administrations located in the following cities.

Some other important sites can be pointed out. Within 50 km. of Nippur were the cities of Kisurra, Shuruppak, and Adab. Further away, but within 100 km., are cities such as Umma and Erech (Uruk). Over 150 km. away is Eridu, an early Sumerian city near the Persian Gulf.

A River on the Move

Prof. Fisher also calls attention to the movements of the Euphrates River. Unlike the Tigris River, the Euphrates flows through the region in a rather shallow bed and is prone to meander and dramatically change course. You can see from the map that the Euphrates flowed by (and through) Nippur in ancient times, but eventually shifted westward well over 50 km. away from the city.

The Lands South and North

Prof. Fisher has designated the area north of Nippur as Kish. The title "King of Kish" was a very prestigious royal title in the earliest years. The dynasty originally located in the city of Kish left a major impact on the following generations and must have ruled a significant amount of territory. Later the significance of the name of Kish was eclipsed by the power of Agade or Akkad after the conquests of Sargon in the twenty-fourth century B.C. Sumer is designated by Prof. Fisher as Kengi. The Sumerian word for "Sumer" was ki-en-gi, perhaps representing "place/land of Sumerian speech."

Click on these links to navigate our site:

Add your thoughts to the Nippur Town Tablet Guestbook by GuestWorld See what others say in the Nippur Town Tablet

Sign My Guestbook View My Guestbook

This page was edited on 15 January 1999. If you have cuneiform questions or comments, please email Dubsar, the Cuneiform Scribe. If I do not respond promptly, the vendor supplying Fortune City's email service may be eating your mail for lunch. In that case, you can give a shout over to Dubsar's Sand Dune to get my attention. Thanks! � 1998 Erasmus Compositor, P.O. Box 25958, Baltimore, MD 21224.