John Peters on Nippur's Fuel Shortage and Construction Industry

In this excerpt from Chapter XI A Journey to Ur, John Peters describes the lack of wood for fuel and the consequences for construction in Mesopotamia.

[p. 289] In some regions [of Iraq], as at Nippur, tamarisk scrub and camel thorn are abundant, but in general dung has constituted the principal fuel because of the absence of wood. It was this lack of proper fuel which caused the ancient Babylonians to use so extensively sun-dried bricks and adobe as building material, and even to write the larger part of their contracts and similar documents on tablets of unbaked, rather than of baked clay. Only very great kings, who were able to draw their wood from other countries, could afford to make much use of baked clay.

The comparative rarity of bricks, again, caused kings to stamp those which they made with their names and titles, and bricks once made were used over and over again by successive builders. You may find in one and the same wall half a dozen inscribed bricks of different kings living hundreds of years apart, and this is equally true of the most ancient times and of the present day. I have found in the most ancient walls of the most ancient kings at Ur and Nippur still more ancient bricks used a second or third time. Similarly, in the grand palace of the Persian Chosroes at Ctesiphon, not a few Nebuchadrezzar bricks may be found, and I have lived in a modern house in Hillah built of bricks stamped with the name and titles of the same monarch.

This excerpt is taken from John Punnett Peters, Nippur or Explorations and Adventures on the Euphrates: The Narrative of the University of Pennsylvania Expedition to Babylonia in the Years 1888-1890, New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1897, Volume II, p. 289.

Click on these links to navigate our site:

Add your thoughts to the Nippur Town Tablet Guestbook by GuestWorld See what others say in the Nippur Town Tablet
Sign My Guestbook View My Guestbook
This page was edited on 17 January 1999. If you have cuneiform questions or comments, please email Dubsar, the Cuneiform Scribe. If I do not respond promptly, the vendor supplying Fortune City's email service may be eating your mail for lunch. In that case, you can give a shout over to Dubsar's Sand Dune to get my attention. Thanks! � 1998 Erasmus Compositor, P.O. Box 25958, Baltimore, MD 21224.