Inscribed Door-Socket of Ur-Nammu, Builder of the Ziggurat for Enlil

This page offers a hand drawn copy of the cuneiform inscription on a stone door-pivot (German: T�rangelstein; French: crapaudine) found during the third season of excavations at Nippur, 1893-1896. According to Professor Hilprecht, its findspot was a little more than twelve meters below the surface of the mound underneath the west corner of the southeast buttress of the ziggurat (stepped tower) of Enlil.

This inscription commemorates construction work for Enlil done by King Ur-Nammu (2112-2095 B.C.), founder of the Ur III dynasty. Ur-Nammu's efforts included the innovation of building a ziggurat at Nippur for Enlil, the Sumerian high god who bestowed kingship.

You can see here the cuneiform inscription on the left and how we represent that text line by line in our Roman characters on the right. Sorry the lines do not exactly line up, but you should be able to match up the cuneiform signs with the transliteration in our alphabet.

Hand copy of Ur-Nammu's<br> inscription on door socketden-l�l

lugal-kur-kur-ra

lugal-a-ni

ur-dnammu

nita kala-ga

lugal úrimki-ma

lugal ke-en-ge ki-uri-ke4

�-kur

� ki-�g-g�-ni

mu-na-d�

This inscription of Ur-Nammu, king of Ur, is written in Sumerian. Rearranged into normal English order, it can be translated: Ur-Nammu, strong male, King of Ur, King of Sumer and Akkad, built for his king Enlil, king of the lands, the Ekur, his beloved temple.

If you are seeking to learn a little about the Sumerian language, look over the following notes on spelling, grammar, and vocabulary. If you have questions send Dubsar some email.

Spelling Matters

Grammar Matters

Vocabulary Matters

This hand copy of the inscription is taken from H.V. Hilprecht, Old Babylonian Inscriptions Chiefly from Nippur: The Babylonian Expedition of the University of Pennsylvania, Series A, Cuneiform Texts, Philadelphia, 1893, Volume I, Part II, Text No. 121.

Click on these links to navigate our site:

Add your thoughts to the Nippur Town Tablet Guestbook by GuestWorld See what others say in the Nippur Town Tablet

Sign My Guestbook View My Guestbook
This page was edited on 26 February 1999. If you have cuneiform questions or comments, please email Dubsar, the Cuneiform Scribe. If I do not respond promptly, the vendor supplying Fortune City's email service may be eating your mail for lunch. In that case, you can give a shout over to Dubsar's Sand Dune to get my attention. Thanks! � 1998 Erasmus Compositor, P.O. Box 25958, Baltimore, MD 21224.