a bluffer's guide to dark city

Give me a random quote that will lead into an informative Q and A

"First came the darkness, then came the strangers." Dr Schreber

What's it about?

John Murdoch (Rufus Sewell) awakes in a a bathroom with a murdered girl nearby. He is soon drawn into a strange world of floating villains, contorting buildings and a city where time literally stands still.

Great. Can I have that in a nutshell?

The day the earth stood still meets Hellraiser with a heavy dose of Franz Kafka.

What's so good about it?

Great sets, good performances all round and an ingenious second act. Director Alex Proyas, the man behind the first Crow movie, delivers some strong visuals and a mind-bending premise with a great finale.

What does it remind me of?

The Day the Earth Stood Still; Hellraiser; Kafka; The Crow; The Rocky Horror Show; Highlander; Brazil.

What's bad about it?

Rufus Sewell's accent is a little ropey, as are some of the effects. The bad guys look a little too much like escapees from a Hellraiser movie. The script could have done with more work too.

Who would like it most?

Art students; goths; Kafka fans; The Crow followers;

So, any chance of a sequel then?

Unlikely. Dark City bombed in the States despite being one of the most intriguing genre films of the year.
  • The other most intriguing films of the year

Give me another quote that's a bit poetic and sounds cool

"They built the city to see what makes us tick. Last night one of us went off." (Tagline)

Thanks very much. How about a list of credits?

Cast (in credits order) Rufus Sewell: John Murdoch; Kiefer Sutherland: Dr. Daniel Poe Schreber; Jennifer Connelly: Emma Murdoch/Anna ; Richard O'Brien: Mr. Hand; Ian Richardson: Mr. Book; William Hurt: Inspector Frank Bumstead

• A Bluffer's Guide to The Big Lebowski
  • Brazil
  • A Life Less Ordinary
  • Grosse Pointe Blank
  • Event Horizon
  • Leon
  • The Long Kiss Goodnight
  • Immolater Home Page
  • Art
  • Miscellany

roger crow 1998

Disclaimer: All of the above is just my opinion. This does not reflect that of my employer or anyone else. So don't sue me. Cheers.