a bluffer's guide to the big lebowski

Give me a random quote that will lead into an informative Q and A

"This is not Nam. This is bowling. There are rules." Walter

What's it about?

When laid-back bowling fan The Dude Lebowski (Jeff Bridges) gets mistaken for a millioanire (also called Lebowski) a gang of hoodlums deface his rug in a fit of pique. Seeking compensation from the real Lebowski, the Dude is drawn into a kidnap case that is quite unlike anything you've ever seen before.

Great. Can I have that in a nutshell?

Kidnap, rugs, bowling, valkyries and a severed toe.

What's so good about it?

A fine performance from Jeff Bridges; surreal memorable dream sequences; great photography; soundtrack and fascinating screenplay. Direction from Joel Coen is outstanding. The sudden appearance of Julianne Moore is stunning.

What does it remind me of?

The Coen Brothers' previous movies, Raising Arizona and Fargo; Preston Sturges movies; Busby Berkely musicals (dream sequence only); Chandleresque movies such as Farewell My Lovely;

What's bad about it?

It goes on a bit.

Who would like it most?

Students; followers of The Coen Brothers.

So, any chance of a sequel then?

Probably not. The lack of car chases and explosions left the low-brow multiplex set confused. Besides, The Coen Brothers don't make sequels.

Give me another quote that's a bit poetic and sounds cool

"Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict drug regimen to keep my mind limber." The Dude

Thanks very much. How about a list of credits?

Cast : The Dude: Jeff Bridges; Walter: John Goodman; Maude: Julianne Moore; Donnie: Steve Buscemi. Directed by Joel Coen.

• The Unofficial Big Lebowski homepage
  • Go to The Bluffer's Guide to A Life Less Ordinary
  • Gattaca
  • Grosse Pointe Blank
  • Event Horizon
  • Leon
  • Dark City
  • Brazil
  • The Long Kiss Goodnight
  • Immolater Home Page
  • Art
  • Miscellany

roger crow 1998

Disclaimer: All of the above is just my opinion. This does not reflect that of my employer or anyone else. So don't sue me. Cheers.