a bluffer's guide to event horizon

Give me a random quote that will lead into an informative Q and A

"Hell is only a word. The reality is much, much worse." Dr. William Weir (Sam Neill)

What's it about?

The eponymous craft creates its own black hole to travel from one point of the universe to another - faster than light. In 2040 the ship vanished and now, in 2047, it has been found again - in the orbit of Neptune. The rescue team on "Lewis & Clark" is sent to find out what happened. Dr William Weir (Sam Neill) created the refound ship and wants to go with the rescue team. Captain Miller (Laurence Fishburne), the leader of the mission isn't too keen on Weir's presence. The rescue team Lewis & Clark has a professional crew: navigator Starck (Joely Richardson); emergency techicians Peters (Kathleen Quinlan) and Cooper (Richard T. Jones); engineer Jusin (Jack Noseworthy); doctor DJ (Jason Isaac); and pilot Smith (Sean Pertwee). The ship itself is a huge, medieval-like vessel in the shape of a cross. Despite an apparent lack of life, this galactic Marie Celeste harbours a dark secret. It doesn't take long until the investigators start to discover what has happened. And the truth is far more terrible than they could have ever imagined.

Great. Can I have that in a nutshell?

Imagine a movie where The Shining meets Hellraiser. Oh, and you might want to throw in Alien as well, just for good measure. The result would be Event Horizon, Paul Anderson's third feature after the middling Shopping and engaging Mortal Kombat.

What's so good about it?

Anderson, like Danny Cannon, is the film-maker of my generation who was weaned on Star Wars and 2000ad and now actually has the muscle to get their films made whereas I just get to write about them. Event Horizon (from now on referred to as EH) was released in Britain in August 1997 to middling reviews from the critics. A three star movie from most quarters and a fair enough assessment for what is essentially a cut and pasted piece of entertainment.

What does it remind me of?

While watching it, you can't help but notice references to the aforementioned cult movies as well as Star Wars, 2001 and The Exorcist. There's also a smattering of The Black Hole in there too.

What's bad about it?

As ever with big budget sci-fi movies, EH suffers from too much reliance on CGI effects. There is no need to see a computer generated watch float past the camera when a watch on a blue or green stick waved in front of a blue or green screen would have worked just as well. Digitally remove the stick and the result is far more effective.

Who would like it most?

Art students; Anyone who grew up watching Star Wars and Alien movies; followers of Sam Neill, Kathleen Quinlan and Larry Fishburne; Orbital fans;

So, any chance of a sequel then?

Doubtful unless it's made on a miniscule budget set in an escape pod. EH made in the $50million ballpark but given its adult rating, that all important lucrative kids market were alienated, crimping its profits. Bound to be a cult classic, such as Shining or Alien before it. Paul Anderson won't be involved, at least not as director. He's putting the finishing touches to new sci-fi actioner Soldier, scripted by Blade Runner's David Webb Peoples.

Is it the scariest movie since Alien?

Well, it's certainly a bit of a shocker which your Auntie Beryl will have a few nightmares over. However, despite a great cast such as Sam Neill, Larry Fishburne and the gorgeous Kathleen Quinlan, EH relies more on ambience than characterisation, resorting to a quite literal finale where everything goes a bit Hellraiser and Silence of the Lambs.

Give me another quote that's a bit poetic and sounds cool

"Have you ever seen fire at zero gravity? It's beautiful. It's like liquid, slides over everything. It comes up in waves." Capt Miller (Laurence Fishburne)

Thanks very much. How about a list of credits?

Cast (in credits order) Laurence Fishburne: Miller; Sam Neill: Weir; Kathleen Quinlan: Peters; Joely Richardson: Starck; Richard T. Jones: Cooper; Jack Noseworthy: Justin; Jason Isaacs: DJ; Sean Pertwee: Smith; Peter Marinker: Kilpack; Holley Chant: Claire; Barclay Wright: Denny; Noah Huntley: Burning Man; Robert Jezek: Rescue Technician; Directed by: Paul Anderson; Written by: Philip Eisner; Cinematography by: Adrian Biddle; Original music by: Paul Hartnoll (as Orbital) ; (additional music) Michael Kamen; Production Design by: Joseph Bennett (II); Costume Design by: John Mollo; Film Editing by: Martin Hunter; Produced by: Jeremy Bolt, Nick Gillott; Lawrence Gordon (I); Sarah Isherwood (assistant) Lloyd Levin

• A Bluffer's Guide to The Big Lebowski
  • A Life Less Ordinary
  • Grosse Pointe Blank
  • Brazil
  • Leon
  • Dark City
  • Gattaca
  • The Long Kiss Goodnight
  • Immolater Home Page
  • Art
  • Miscellany
  • For more info, click me

• For Sam Neill photos, click me

roger crow 1998

Disclaimer: All of the above is just my opinion. This does not reflect that of my employer or anyone else. So don't sue me. Cheers.