a bluffer's guide to the long kiss goodnight

Give me a random quote that will lead into an informative Q and A

"Chefs do that" Samantha Caine after killing an attacker.

What's it about?

Cosy mother Samantha Caine (Geena Davis) has started a new life after awaking on a beach eight years earlier with no memory. Now she has a bloke, a nice home and lives a blissfull existence in her Capraesque town. That is until a ghost from her past returns to haunt her. With the help of seedy private eye Mitch Hennessy (Samuel L Jackson), she attempts to bring some sort of order to her upturned life, while wasting about a hundred bad guys in the process.

Great. Can I have that in a nutshell?

Eight years ago schoolteacher Samantha Caine lost her memory. Now, detective Mitch Hennessy must help her remember the past before it buries them both.

What's so good about it?

Top-drawer acting from both Davis and Jackson. A witty script from Shane Black and explosive direction from Renny Harlin. Good support too from Craig Bierko and Brian Cox. The stunt where Davis and Jackson jump from an exploding building into a frozen lake is almost as classic as the Bruce Willis jump in Die Hard. Great finale too.

What does it remind me of?

Die Hard; True Lies; Aliens (tough woman protecting little girl and often blokes from hideous threat).

What's bad about it?

Cartoon-like bad guys. Okay, so it's not Shakespeare but they could have been a little more rounded in their fiendishness.

Who would like it most?

Crime novel fans; Die hard and True Lies followers; Davis and Jackson fans;

So, any chance of a sequel then?

Alas no. TLKGN cost a packet but was a bit of a dead duck at the box office. Harlin and Davis have since split up so if there is a sequel, unlikely they'll be working together.

Give me another quote that's a bit poetic and sounds cool

"Shall we get a dog?" Samantha Caine to her daughter just before blowing up half of North America.

Thanks very much. How about a list of credits?

Cast Sam/Charlie: Geena Davis; Mitch: Samuel L Jackson; Timothy: Craig Bierko. Directed by Renny Harlin; Written by Shane Black.

• A Bluffer's Guide to The Big Lebowski
  • A Life Less Ordinary
  • Grosse Pointe Blank
  • Event Horizon
  • Leon
  • Dark City
  • Gattaca
  • Brazil
  • Immolater Home Page
  • Art

roger crow 1998

Disclaimer: All of the above is just my opinion. This does not reflect that of my employer or anyone else. So don't sue me. Cheers.