RECORD REVIEWS: ISSUE TWO

NOTE: A few of the record reviews are missing from issue two due to the file on which they were stored getting "cabbaged" for no discernible reason. They will be typed up again soon.

AGEBABY - ‘Something Dirty (Boy/Girl)’ 7" (Damaged Goods)

Tuneful indie pop in the vein of Dweeb (RIP). One spin of the title track and it'll stick in your head for the rest of your life, completely annoying the shit out of you until you completely crack and go on a mad psychotic rampage a la Michael Douglas in that piss-awful film "Falling Down". Anyway. The B-side is more of the same, but less catchy. I liked this, but it won't be everyone's bowl of blow.

ALL - Mass Nerder CD (Epitaph)

From the opening seconds of the first track "World's On Heroin" I just knew that this was gonna be fucking brilliant and, of course, I was right. Everything you love about All/Descendents is here - those distinctive and complicated basslines, songs about girls and summer, ace lyrics, catchy tunes... it's just perfect. Best tracks? "World's On Heroin", "I'll Get There", "Honey Peeps", "Silly Me"... I could go on, it's all grrreat stuff. You probably already have this, but if you don't then get it now. Now! NOW, DAMMIT!

THE AUTOMATICS - Go Bananas CD (Mutant Pop)

This is a big sack of fun! OK, imagine the Hi-Fives playing Queers songs and you'll have a rough idea what this tastes like. The opener "Tokyo" is a pretty perfect pop-punk piece, and the nineteen remaining tracks follow in the same vein. I think the song titles say it all: "Beep Beep", "Do The Android", "Makin' Out", "Super Spy"... yep, fun, fun, fun 'til your daddy takes your CD away. Yes, we have gone bananas! We have gone bananas today!

THE AUTOMATICS / STINKING POLECATS - split 7" (Saucer)

The Automatics side has three ultra-fast pop-punk tracks that are all smart, while the Stinking Polecats side has the decent "Hippie Girl" and the wonderful "Lucy's On Therapy" which is the best song that Screeching Weasel never wrote. A superb sizzling seven incher from the Saucy Saucer people. Or something.

AVAIL - Over The James CD (Lookout)

Hey, Avail have just signed to Fat! If they're not careful Lookout are only gonna have a handful of bands left... anyway, onto Avail. I'd never been overly impressed with the few Avail tracks I'd heard before, but I really enjoyed this. Maybe it's because Avail are better listened to on albums rather than the odd track here and there, or maybe this is better than their older stuff. Either way this is a solid album of intelligent punk/hardcore with enough melody for someone as wussy as me to enjoy yet enough aggression for all you hardcore kids. Recommended.

BETTE DAVIS AND THE BALCONETTES - ‘Surf Surf Kill Kill’ 7" (Damaged Goods)

Doesn't the title say it all? Trashy, surfy garagey stuff with odd lyrics Pretty cool and fun and stuff, but nothing to pitch a tent over. Worth picking up if you like trashy surfy garagey stuff. Surf surf! Kill kill!

BORIS THE SPRINKLER - ‘(I've Been Hittin' On A) Russian Robot’ 7" (Lookout)

Three more tracks from Rev Norb and his band of freaks. This is a typical Boris record - clever but dumb lyrics mixed with speedy melodic punk rock and all sorts of crazy silliness in the background (such as the genius line "Vodka vodka, we accept you, we accept you, one of us..."), plus the obligatory cover on the flipside. It takes a lot of intelligence to be this stupid, y'know. Top, fun and silly, and an excellent taster for the forthcoming album, which should be great.

BOUNCING SOULS - Tie One On CDEP (Epitaph)

Anyone who's seen them will concur that the Bouncing Souls are a top notch live band, and while this release isn't quite as much fun as being there at one of their gigs it is a worthwhile purchase all the same. Contains eight of their finest cuts (not "These Are the Lines from Our Favorite Eighties Movies", sadly) performed before a bunch of sweaty NYCers, plus an all new track from the next album... hey, it's like when major labels pad out singles with live tracks, but in reverse! Or something. Anyway, if you're already a fan then this is worth getting hold of, and if you're not yet acquainted with the 'Souls then this a cheap way to sample their fine punkage.

THE BROADWAYS - Broken Star CD (Asian Man)

This is a fucking great album. Fans of Fifteen and/or Propagandhi should definitely pick this up, as they're sure to appreciate what's in this disc, what with it being tuneful HC stuff with clever song structure and thoughtful, personal and political lyrics - not just "capitalism sucks, the government sucks" and all the tired clichés. One of the best albums of 1998. Need I say more?

BROCCOLI/PINTO - split 7" (Speedowax)

Yeah, this has probably already sold out, but here's a review anyway. The now defunct Broccoli provide a couple of slow Jawbreakeresque emo numbers that they were loved for. They took a while to "connect" with me, but now they're firm favourites, especially second track "The Tens" which is quiet, slow, restrained and beautiful. Flip over the pinkish coloured wax for Pinto, a band I've liked for about a year now since I heard their demo and saw 'em play in a run-down Sheffield pub one Sunday night. Anyway, Pinto are a direct contrast with Broccoli, pumping out a couple of top speedy blasts of skatepunk that is sure put a smile on the face of even the most miserable bastard. Interesting choices for a split single, and a gamble that has paid off. Search this out if you don't already have a copy. (£2.50 ppd from PO Box 1573, Bilston, WV14 9WD)

BURNING HEADS - ‘Wise Guy’ CD single (Epitaph)

Wow, this new single from Burning Heads is really hot! A-haha... er, wait a minute, I used that gag last issue. Darn. It's also not true, as this is barely tepid. The title track starts off not dissimilarly to Metallica's "Sad But True", before transforming into an average blast of NYHC, distinguishable from all other NYHC solely from that fact that it is from France. The second track is a bit better - more melodic, just standard Epi-fare but not too bad. The third track is a horrible, slow ska song that makes me want to smash up my CD player and the entire contents of my bedroom with it. Following this comes a fucking dance mix of the aforementioned ska track! What the fuck?! Don't buy this, OK?

DAGOBAH - ‘The Garage Is Off Limits’ 7" (Crackle)

Second single from one of the bestest British bands at the moment, and it does not disappoint. My fave live track "Waste" kicks off the record, followed by "Little Things" which starts off all quiet and, for want of a better word, emotional, before exploding into a speedy pop-punk song which Dagobah are so good at doing. On the flip is "Wise As A Wookie" which is unsurprisingly packed with Star Wars references, and the moving "Everything's Going Wrong". Dagobah are definitely one of the best UK pop-punk bands ever - interesting and inventive music with well-written and effective lyrics. Essential.

DIGGER - The Promise of an Uncertain Future CD (Hopeless)

The second album from Pennsylvania’s Digger sees them continue their melodic, happy sounding melodic type stuff. Imagine Weston with a rocket up their collective arse and you're halfway there. A worthy successor to "Powerbait", with a fuller and more cohesive sound than that record. The perfect soundtrack to the lives of all you geeky types out there.

THE DONNAS - s/t CD (Lookout)

The debut platter from everyone's favourite teenage garage punks is now reissued courtesy of Lookout, and damn good it is too. If you're looking for innovation, complicated song structures and intelligent lyrics then look elsewhere, but if you're looking for dumb fun r'n'r Ramones style then this is where you'll find it. This has the first album plus three early badly recorded singles, adding up to twenty three tracks in total, the best of which being "I'm Gonna Make Him Mine (Tonight)" and "Get Rid Of That Girl". Sloppy, trashy and fun.

DROPKICK MURPHYS - The Gang's All Here CD (Hellcat)

Everyone I know who saw these guys on their recent tour said that they rocked, and after listening to this I can understand why. This is out-and-out ass kickin' punk rock, combining an old school type sound with big production (from Lars Frederiksen), with the occasional Irish vibe creeping in. The new vocalist Al Barr kinda sounds like Dicky Barrett at times, which suits the music well. There's a smart cover of "Amazing Grace" too, complete with bagpipes (no, really!). If Rancid and the Swinging Utters do it for you then you really must purchase this.

GAMEFACE/PINTO - split 7" (Speedowax)

I have a confession to make. I am not au fait (as they say in France) with Gameface's past output - I mean, I've heard the odd song but not much. I know, I know, I have no right to write a zine with such a gaping hole present in my record collection. I'm planning on filling said hole ASAP though, as I really enjoyed their mid-paced Samiam-ish emo-tinged pop-punk with strong vocals and killer melodies. On the flip are Pinto doing their Travis Cut-type pop-punk, and doing it well. Yet another top drawer release from Speedowax, even if I do have a black vinyl copy cos I bought it from a shop. Bah!

H20 - ‘Everready’ CD single (Epitaph)

NYHC, eh? This is a single taken from the band's current album and thankfully it's one of the better tracks - powerful and aggressive, yet tuneful enough to stop me from shitting my pants. Backing the title track are three live numbers, including their ace cover of Marginal Man's `Friend', `Universal Language' from the current LP and an older track called `Here Today, Gone Tomorrow' which is more traditional hardcore than the others (i.e. indecipherable vocals over fast-as-fuck repetitive guitar and drums). I preferred this release to the album, probably cos it's less boring to hear a few tracks than it is to hear a whole album. If you're into this stuff then, as I said last issue, H20 are one of the better bands in this genre. I kinda regret missing their gigs now.

HEADCHECKS/TRAVIS CUT - split 7" (Speedowax)

The Headchecks rose from the ashes of the Shreds, who I must admit I never got around to checking out. My loss, I suppose, as the tracks on offer here are pretty good - kinda like a sloppier, louder, more aggressive Travis Cut, maybe? Not yet brilliant, but they show great promise. Travis Cut themselves grace t'other side, with a couple of covers ("In A Rut" and an ace version of "Too Much Kissing") plus an alright original. To be honest this isn't TC at their best, but fans won't be disappointed. Another decent slab of coloured vinyl from Mr. Speedowax (lime green this time!), especially if you like your punk with the emphasis on pop.

DE HEIDEROOSJES - Smile... You're Dying! CD (Epitaph)

This is a compilation of tracks that De Heideroosjes have put out over the years. I guess the music is at the hardcore end of the Epitaph scale, and most of the songs are written in (quite good) English, with two Dutch songs thrown in for good measure. Lyrically this is mainly political, but they also throw in a couple of more fun tracks such as "Winter Wonderland" and "Ode To The Ramones", which includes a bunch of Ramones song titles in its lyrics. Sorry about the dryness of this review, but this CD neither impressed or depressed me. It's not bad, but it's not that good either. Sigh. If you're absolutely obsessed with hardcore then pick it up, but there are a million records more deserving of your attention. There's also a CD-ROM video thingie, but as the Scary Sheep computer is an eleven-year-old  monochrome laptop I don't know what that's like. Sigh... you're boring!

HELEN LOVE - ‘Long Live The UK Music Scene’ 7" (Che)

If Super Mario World had a punk band they'd sound like Helen Love. Here they use their keyboards and Super Kay guitar to sarcastically respond to the NME's article about the end of the UK music scene, packed with digs at the UK's commercial music industry, including the recurring line "Chris Evans and Shed Seven will save the UK music scene". The other two songs are a dig at someone who used to laugh at them before they got signed, and a song that was previously on the "And The Rest Is History" compilation. If you can cope with keyboards, drum machines and a whole crateful of sugar poured over your pop-punk then you'll like Helen Love. I think they're great, as does Joey Ramone, and who are you to argue with such great minds?!

HI-FIVES - Get Down CD (Lookout)

For those of you who don't know, the Hi-Fives sound kinda like a 90s version of early 60s guitar pop bands. And they are very, very good. Sort of a clean, shiny, polished garage band to contrast with all the raw and dirty ones out there. I don't know if you can really call this "punk", but does it really matter? Probably not to everyone's taste, but I really dig this groove, baby! Or something. Ace, gear, top! And remember, if you turn the 90s upside down you get s06. Er, damn, that didn't quite work out right...

IDLEWILD - ‘I'm A Message’ 7" (Food)

Idlewild, as you may or may not know, are a noisy indie band in the vein of Placebo but without the genderbending jiggery-pokery. This record, while slower than the last single, is rather good - a bit like early Ash (when they were good) with noisier guitars. Yeah, I like this one, and thousands of teenagers across the country agree with me if their performance at Reading is anything to go by.

IDLEWILD - ‘When I Argue I See Shapes’ CD single (Food)

This is probably gonna lose me loads of those oh-so precious punk credibility points, but I totally love this song. Infectious, noisy guitar pop with a catchy chorus is what's on offer here - nothing more, nothing less. The B-sides suck, but the A-side is top.

J CHURCH - ‘Turn To Stone’ 2x7"/CD single (Damaged Goods)

The title track is, as you may know, an ELO cover, but don't let that put you off cos it's really rather good thanks to Lance's wonderful vocals, back ups from Harriet, and a smart rant thing half way through from none other that Manda Rin from Bis! Top stuff. There are a total of seven B-sides spread across the three formats, including two more fun ELO covers, a cover of "You're The One That I Want" from Grease, and four original songs, the best of which being "Part of The Problem" from the first 7" which is an example of classic J Church, and the beautiful and raw acoustic track "Indignation" from the CD, which is sort of indie-ish like early REM or something. You can pick up all three singles for cheap from Damaged Goods, and I thoroughly recommend that you do so.

J CHURCH - Cat Food CD (Damaged Goods)

For those of you who've never heard of J Church... oh, come on, surely everyone reading this has heard of J Church? Yes? Good. Indie-tinged, intelligent pop-punk with slightly obscure lyrics is a crap way of describing them, but it's the best I could come up with so you're stuck with it. J Church songs seem to fall into two camps: the excellent and the slightly dull. Luckily for us, "Cat Food" consists exclusively of the former. Chuck in backing vocals from Manda Rin and you're left with another brilliant J Church record to add to the pile that you probably already own. I'm not sure why "My Favorite Place" is on here as it's already been on about 704 other releases, but it's one of My Favourite Songs so I'll let them off.

JETS TO BRAZIL - Orange Rhyming Dictionary (Jade Tree)

The first few times I span this I was unimpressed to say the least. It seemed like a bunch of over-long dreary indie rock songs, albeit with Blake's excellent, distinctive vocals. I was just about to sell it when I gave it one last chance. Then I started to get into it a bit more, and now I really like it. If you like Jawbreaker's more mellow moments then you'll enjoy this emo/indie rock album, though it may take a few plays to appreciate it. It's not the type of record that you'll jump around the room to, but it is one you'll keep coming back to in your more sedate and thoughtful moments. Perfect for those lonely nights. Or maybe that's just me.

MAGOO - ‘Holy Smoke’ CD single (Chemikal Underground)

Ah, Chemikal Underground, the label who unleashed Bis onto the world, and for that we are eternally grateful. Yes we are. We ARE. Really. This, however, is repetitive indie pop in the style of the Delgados. Better than the "indie" music found in the charts, but what isn't? Yawn.

MAGOO - ‘Swiss Border Escape’ CD single (Chemikal Underground)

Tuneful, inoffensive indie pop which gets a tad repetitive. Kinda like the Wannadies in one of their less aggressive moments, or a more straightforward version of Tiger, or even the above single. Oh Magoo, you've released a boring twee indie pop single again!

MAGOO - Vote The Pacifist Ticket Today CD (Chemikal Underground)

As above but with more songs. Like Belle and Sebastian, but more "experimental" and not as good. The NME will probably wank all over this and write a two thousand word review on how it builds up to a crescendo of sound and how all the songs fit in well together and how the two vocalists work well together and how it's a beautiful masterpiece, whereas I have written an eighty word review saying that I found it as boring as watching somebody watching a video of paint drying. In slow motion. This is like Tiger, but not as good. Make of that what you will.

MANGES/RAGGITY ANNE - split 7" (Speedowax/Saucer)

Two tracks each here from Italy's Manges and Nuneaton's Raggity Anne. Both bands play Ramones/SW inspired pop-punk, and both do it well and have cool song titles; "Melissa Is A Rockabilly Rebel" from the Manges and "My Baby Stole My Ramones LPs" from Raggity Anne. This is the kind of stuff that I dig the most, so much congratulations go out to Mr Speedowax for putting out yet another top slab o' vinyl.

THE MARSHES/FAKE HYPPI - ‘The In-Between’ 7" (Kerosene)

More Marshes, meaning more kinda disjointed melodies, strong basslines and great vocals. The Marshes are definitely one of my favourite bands. Fake Hyppi are a new bands to me, and they sound kinda like a more upbeat, poppy Marshes with higher pitched vocals. This one is a hit with me! Rich Speedowax is distroing this over here, so get $2.50 in the post to him pronto.

THE MARSHES/TRAVIS CUT - split 7" (Speedowax)

The Marshes side begins with a piano solo before kicking into a bass-driven track of their unique punkage with those monotonous-in-a-good-way vocals, followed by not too impressive cover of the Psychadelic Furs' "Into You Like A Train". The vocalist kinda tries to ape the style of the Furs' singer (I know, I should know his name but I don't so ner) and it sounds a bit, well, crap. Travis Cut supply a track from their "Seventh Inning Stretch" LP, along with the unreleased and great "Nice Try!" Both are examples of TC at their best. And hey, it's on nice and thick puke coloured vinyl, too!

THE MOPES - Lowdown Two-Bit Sidewinder! CDEP (Lookout)

As you may already know, the Mopes consist of Dan Vapid (ex-SW and Riverdales), Jughead (always-SW), Dan Lumley (currently in SW & Squirtgun) and B-Face (ex-Queers). Got that? So, what do they sound like, eh? Well, kinda like 50s surf pop with slick production from Mass Giorgini (who else?) and goofy, Beach Boys-style lyrics about wipe-outs, deuce coupes and hula hoops. Nothing special but fun all the same.

MR T EXPERIENCE - Road To Ruin LP (Clearview)

I love MTX. I love the Ramones. I do not love this album. I do like it, sure, but not very much. I just don't see the point of a band covering a band who musically they're not a million miles away from anyway. The sleeve is cool and funny and the record is OK, but it is not essential to fans of either or both bands. Worth hearing, but you wouldn't wanna play it very often. Never thought I'd give an MTX album a lukewarm review, but there you go.

NAVEL - Uneasy CD (Snuffy Smile)

Top notch pop-punk from Japan which varies from tuneful, harmony-laden Skimmer/Travis Cut style pop to fast, shouty hardcore, yet it doesn't sound disjointed or contrived at all. Twelve tracks of tuneful punkage, catchy as hell and well worth seeking out. I hope you caught them on their tour of England with Skimmer last year, or you really are stupider than I look. And speaking of said tour...

PHANTOM SURFERS w/ DAVIE ALLAN - SkaterHater CD (Lookout)

An interesting concept CD... this is an instrumental rock opera (it says here) with legendary (it says here) surf guitarist Davie Allan which serves as a sequel to the award winning (it says here) 1960's film SkaterDater. High points are the surf instrumental cover of "Sheena Is A Punk Rocker" and the ace "You Meet the Nicest People on a Harley" and "Murder Can Be Fun" which have vocals and are total 60s surf pop. Most of the rest of the CD consists of competent yet uninspiring surf instrumentals, but the booklet contains a smart story to read along to as you play the CD, resulting in an experience akin to watching those werid 60s films that Channel 4 trot out late at nights occasionally. I guess that was the plan, and it has worked well.

PULLEY - ‘@#!*’ CD single (Epitaph)

At least I think that's the title. Anyway, this is a four track preview of the band's forthcoming self-titled album. As I'm sure you all know, Pulley contains a couple of Strung Out members and ex-Ten Foot Pole singer Scott, so you can probably guess what this sounds like. If it wasn't for the vocals you'd swear that you were listening to a Strung Out record (right down to the not-as-good-as-the-others slow track!), which is no bad thing. Perhaps the songs structures are a bit more straightforward than Strung Out too, but if speedy melodic hardcore makes your pants damp then you'd better pick up a new pair when you get this.

PUNCH PUPPET - demo tape

Three tracks on offer here from Davey P's three piece, who play catchy, tuneful pop-punk which makes you want to bounce around the room and grin like an idiot. I suppose Green Day and Skimmer (especially the vocals) are decent comparisons. If you live in the London area check them out next time they play, or you can get hold of their demo by sending a blank tape and SAE to 15 Monteagle Ave, Barking, Essex, IG11 8RA.

THE QUEERS - ‘Everything's OK’ 7" (Hopeless)

Joe Queer teams up with a couple of kids to record four tracks of that pop thing that the Queers do so well. The title track and "Get A Life And Live It Loser" are superb, "Queerbait" is a little thrashier and is OK, "I Enjoy Being A Boy" is a Banana Splits cover and a bit dull. Wrap it all up in a smart cartoon sleeve and you have a great little 7".

THE QUEERS - Punk Rock Confidential CD (Hopeless)

Hmm. Apparently Lookout had no faith in Joe's ability to record decent tunes without B-Face and Hugh (RIP), so now the Queers reside in the Hopeless stable. So were they right? Have the Queers (who are now Joe backed by members of Jon Cougar Concentration Camp, possessors of the best band name in the world... ever) lost it? Have they fuck! This may even be their best record yet, comprising everything that makes the Queers great: Ramones-meets-MTX-meets-Screeching Weasel pop punk, ranging from wussiness to snottiness and littered with some old fashioned punk rock swearing and humour. Ben Weasel (he's an asshole) writes a few songs, and the end result is arguably the best record of 1998.

RANCID - Life Won't Wait CD (Epitaph)

You probably all know what to expect from this one - at least, you think you do. Sure, this is full of the out-and-out punk rock with impressive basslines that we all know and love, but this is also the most diverse Rancid album yet. There's the ska songs that you'd expect too, but even these are quite diverse, from the reggae type ska of the title track to the punkier and brilliant "Hooligans". Their time spent in Jamaica has had an obvious influence on the record, and you've probably already heard the list of guest stars who pop up all over the place. One question though: Why include a 12-page colour booklet with no lyrics?!

REFUSED - The Shape of Punk to Come CD (Burning Heart)

Er, where do I start with THIS one? OK, try to imagine a hardcore punk band who incorporate jazz & techno, violins & acoustics, ace melodies AND rock-hard heaviness into one album, as well as writing bloody brilliant songs which all seem to mould into one cohesive collection. Can't do it? I'm having enough trouble decoding it even after I've heard it. One of the most diverse and politically charged records out this year, without any hesitation. (Jack)

SCREECHING WEASEL - Major Label Debut CDEP (Panic Button)

As much as I like SW this is way too expensive, especially when compared to other CDEPs on Lookout. Less than eleven minutes of music for £8+ isn't exactly a good deal. The sleeve is even in the style of a $50 bill, which just rubs salt into the wound. Having said that, this is a decent record, with sorta political lyrics and a harder yet still pop edge to the Weasel, sorta like their older stuff. The track “Racist Society” is up there with SW's best, but this could've been a 7" and about half the price, so I can't really say it's worth buying. Tape it off of someone else if you can.

SCREECHING WEASEL - Television City Dream CD (Fat)

Initially this was quite disappointing, but I span it a few more times and decided that it wasn't that bad after all. This is perhaps the most diverse Weasel album yet (though that's not saying much!), swinging between Boogada-type blasts of hardcore to the poppier three-chords-plus-cheesy lead that made them famous. Tracks like "Speed of Mutation", "Breaking Point", "Outside of You", "First Day of Winter" and "Burn it Down" are all good, but there are also a lot of average tracks here. True, an average SW track is better than most bands' best tracks, but this still pales in comparison when compared to the stuff they were putting out in the second phase of the band (i.e. 1991-5). I like this, you'll like this, it's better than "Bark...", but it ain’t a classic by any stretch of the imagination.

SERVO - ‘Blueprint’ 7" (Crackle)

Five tracks of what sounds like Chopper and Catatonia having a party together, i.e. strong female vocals over fast pop-punk with a very slight indie influence. Happy, catchy stuff with singalong "whoa-oh" bits. Well worth a listen, and worth seeing live too, even though only one of the band members remains in the band since this was recorded!

SICK OF IT ALL - Call To Arms  CD (Fat)

Yep, it's those bruisin' bruddas from NYC comin' backatcha, and it's all here; those fat guitars (pardon the pun), throat-ripping vocals, pro-unity lyrics and wonderful, thick production. Hell, there's even a couple of cool more melodic cuts (“Sanctuary” is especially cool) which show that SOIA might be getting more tuneful as they grow up. This is still damn heavy in places, though, and that may scare some folks off, but not me, this rules, and if you wanna check 'em out, this album is as good as any they've done. Now I must end the review because I'm off to see 'em at the Garage. Yay! (Jack)

SKIMMER - Vexed CD (Crackle)

This is the long-awaited debut full length from everyone's favourite purveyors of snappy pop songs with crunchy guitars, harmoniousness, melodiousness and Kevin's distinctive vocals. Songs about girls, getting old, the "joys" of touring and more - "Pop Kid" pretty much describes my life to a tee. Chuck in a whole slew of bonus tracks and what you have is a perfect pop-punk platter, which you are guaranteed to love. Skimmer really are "the writers of the bestest punk rock songs". Let's hope they write some more soon.

SLEATER-KINNEY - ‘Little Babies’ 7" (Matador)

The first S-K track I heard was "One More Hour", and that was excellent, and I was even more impressed when I saw 'em at Reading. So what about this? Well the title track is an excellent slice of the mega-melodic riot grrl punk that they are so good at doing, plus it has a kick arse "dum-diddly-dum-dum" chorus. The B-side "I'm Not Waiting" is great, and more emotional than the other stuff I've heard. Top, top slice of vinyl. (Jack)

SLOPPY SECONDS - More Trouble Than They're Worth CD (Nitro)

Dumb, snotty, un-PC PUNK ROCK! from this scary looking band of degenerates with a vocalist who sounds like he's been swallowing broken glass while drinking sulphuric acid. Lyrically the 'Seconds cover subjects from triple-breasted aliens to farts to pizza to killing trendies to lesbians... y'know, the usual. Oh, and there are a couple of tracks about fucking and beer too. If Beavis and Butt-head were punks then Sloppy Seconds would be their favourite band, so any of you out there with an adolescent sense of humour will enjoy this CD as much as I did. Perfect music for a party, unless you have friends like mine who play that fucking shitty George Martin CD instead. Fools.

SMOKING POPES - Destination Failure CD (Capitol)

Wow, a band that hasn't been dropped from their major label! Yet. The laid back 'Popes have followed up their slightly disappointing "Born To Quit" with more tales of failed relationships and broken hearts, yet the music is a little more upbeat than the slow melancholy of the last album. Imagine if Morrissey had an American accent and was backed up by Weston in a particularly sappy mood and that's sorta what they sound like - certainly unique and not to everyone's tastes, and although they have not and will never record another song as brilliant as "Need You Around", this is a damn good record and is much better than I expected it to be. Recommended, but only to total wusses who can stomach quiet, slow songs.

SNUFF - ‘Nick Motown’ CD single (Deceptive)

It's Snuff, innit? "What's Snuff?" you ask? Melodic punk with a trombone and a hammond organ and a love of bizarre covers, that's Snuff, and that's what's found on this EP. The title track is from their new album and the bassline is reminiscent of a motown-style song. At least I think it is. The B-sides are another original track and, of course, a couple of covers, this time some Japanese song that I don't recognise and "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls, which includes the almighty line "zig-a-zag-a-zig-a-zag-a! Oi! Oi! Oi!" Everyone likes Snuff, so everyone should buy this. So there.

SNUFF - Tweet Tweet My Lovely CD (Deceptive)

The latest full length from this influential British punk band is just as good as their other stuff, so if you like that then this'll float your goat (or something). No covers, just a bunch of straightforward honest-to-goodness punk stuff, including the classic that is "Arsehole". A solid release, but to fully appreciate Snuff you have to see them live.

SNUFF - In The Fishtank CDEP (Konkurrent)

The "In The Fishtank" series works on the following premise: Konkurrent take bands who are touring in Holland, stick 'em in a studio for two days then release the outcome. Surprisingly, Snuff have come out with nine tracks of intricate, intelligent emo... no, I'm lying. They've come out with "Yes We Have No Bananas" in four different languages and styles, the Match of the Day theme, a metal instrumental and three "proper" songs. Not essential, but more fun than a weekend playing naked twister with Lady Tara off of Emmerdale. Probably.

SNUFF - ‘Yuki’ 7” (Deceptive)

Fourth Snuff review this issue, which says more about my laziness than Snuff's productivity levels. Anyway, this is pretty much another Snuff record, which isn't a bad thing by any means. Worth getting just for the cover of "Rockafella Skank". Snuff are still the masters of the cover version!

UNDECLINABLE AMBUSCADE - ‘Trapped’ CD single (Epitaph)

One of the better tracks from their "One For The Money" album, this is a decent enough Ten Foot Pole-ish track about a woman who wants to be a man. Well, at least it's different, eh listeners? The other tracks are a "Sandwich" which is a pretty damn good Strung Out rip off, and a fun cover of Homeward Bound which is not as good as Doc Hopper's version. Yeah, this is worth getting hold of if you're into the Fat/Epi sound, but it's not essential.

UNION 13 - Why Are We Destroying Ourselves? CD (Epitaph)

Imagine Pennywise and AFI giving birth to a quintuplets who are then injected with caffeine and amphetamines and sent to Mexico in some sort of jet powered car travelling at a million miles an hour. This is the band that said children would form. Top fastasfuck hardcore which knows the meaning of the words "aggression" and "melody" in both English and Spanish. Plus they mention Jerry Springer in the lyrics, which is always a bonus.

VANDALS - Hitler Bad Vandals Good CD (Nitro)

Hey, the Vandals also mention Jerry Springer, in the classic "I've Got An Ape Drape" ("Make it like that famous country singer/Or that guy I saw last night on Jerry Springer" - how cool is that?!). Even though they all look about 97 years old, the Vandals are still pumping out some great, genuinely funny melodious punk rock. This is perhaps poppier than their previous records, but it is also fucking brilliant. Couple of covers (Pennywise's "Come Out Fighting" dedicated to Jason Thirsk and "So Long, Farewell") plus twelve original tracks make this a must buy. So buy it. So there.

VOODOO GLOW SKULLS - The Band Geek Mafia CD (Epitaph)

This sounds like the Bosstones' Hispanic cousins after taking numerous wraps of speed and a couple of tabs of acid, washed down with ten pints of Carlsberg Special Brew. Fast, fun, sloppy skacore which somehow manages to sound melodic and completely fucked up at the same time. One of the more interesting ska-type releases of late, and a must for all you skanky types out there.

(YOUNG) PIONEERS - Free The (Young) Pioneers Now! CD (Lookout)

Take some punk, hardcore, rock and roll and a dash of blues. Add some screaming, incoherent vocalist, a harmonica and some abstract, political lyrics and you'll end up with something resembling this album. Uh, this is a fairly diverse record that while being pretty decent and unique isn't the kind of thing that you're gonna play over and over. Sounds a bit Avail-ish in places. Strange, not bad, but nothing to get excited about. If you fancy a change from three chord pop and NOFX wannabes then you could do worse than look here.

V/A - Atom 009 7" (Speedowax)

OK, so Atom 009 is the catalogue number and not the title, but the record seems to be untitled, so ner. This is a six-way orgy of pop-punk, with Travis Cut, Dog Boy (melodic punk slightly flavoured with ska), Skimmer (one of the great-but-accidental bonus tracks from "Vexed"), Beauty School Dropout (an ace catchy pop number), Headchecks and the smart "Skateboarding Sucks" from Funbug. Lovely bright turquoise wax too... Will Speedowax ever release a shit record? It looks unlikely.

V/A - Back To Rockaway Beach 1 CD (Amp)

This Canuck compilation consists of twenty seven bands from all over the world, and chances are you've heard of none of them. Amongst these bands is Punch Puppet with their live favourite "Defrosted", which has a very garagey sound due to the fact that it was recorded on a 4-track. Still sounds cool, tho'. Other bands on here of note include the Roswells (sci-fi rock'n'roll), Cards in Spokes (melodic punk), Recycled (cos their track sounds like the Big Breakfast theme, and that amuses me), Kowalskis (who sound a little like Cub and are great), Submission (who look like a death metal band but sound like a cross between Screeching Weasel and Sloppy Seconds), the Vapids (guess who they sound like. You'll get it right.) and Switch (fast melodic poppy punk). All the songs on here are worth a listen, and it's interesting to hear a bunch of unknown bands. Some of these bands will no doubt go on to greater things, others will continue to play to three people in their home town. See the ad elsewhere in the zine for ordering info.

V/A - Check This Out Too CD (One Foot)

It's a sampler! It's on One Foot! It's the new One Foot sampler! As the title suggests, this is the second sampler from this smallish label, and it consists mainly of Fat-type stuff but without the ultra slick production. Stand out bands include Garage Fuzz, Kid With Man Head (tuneful Samiam-type stuff), Blitz Babies (like a faster Discount), Stoned, Horace Pinker, the Drapes, Gutfiddle (fast, melodic trashy pop-punk) and Latex Generation... uh, that's quite a lot of "stand out bands", eh? Such is the quality of this fine compilation. Twenty five tracks for not much cash!

V/A - Deep Thoughts CD (Nitro)

It's a sampler! It's on Nitro! It's the new Nitro sampler! This has at least one track from every album that Nitro have put out, meaning that some bands crop up four times. Bands on here that I like include the Vandals, AFI, Jughead's Revenge, One Hit Wonder and Sloppy Seconds. Other bands include the Offspring and the band who begat them (TSOL, you dink), plus the always irritating Guttermouth. See, Sloppy Seconds do the childish, offensive punk thing with a sense of humour, whereas Guttermouth just aren't funny (having said that, the track "Lipstick" is pretty decent, though it pains me to admit it). Overall this is worth getting hold of, but only if you don't already own all the good stuff.

V/A - Five Years on the Streets CD (Vagrant)

It's a sampler! It's on Vagrant! It's the new (and indeed first) Vagrant sampler! The big names on here are Face To Face, Blink 182 (with an unreleased track which isn't their best), Down By Law, MxPx (with a lacklustre cover of "Blue Moon") and J Church (the excellent "Racked"). Other artists of note include Boxer (somewhere between Digger and Face to Face), Automatic 7 (slick pop-punk), the Hippos (great ska-punk), Gotohells (garagey r'n'r) and Nuclear Saturday (melodicore). As with all samplers this is well worth the asking price, but I think I'd get the One Foot sampler before this one, as although it lacks the popular bands of Five Years... it is more diverse and has more good tracks.

V/A - Forward Til Death CD (Lookout)

Or "Forwad Til Death" as it says on the spine. Someone really should employ me as a proof reeder... anyway, this is Lookout's sampler of last year's releases, plus a few unreleased goodies from MTX (the excellent "King Dork" which namechecks top weird TV show MST3K), Squirtgun, the Criminals, Dr. Frank (a country song with what appears to be a toy instrument... if this is anything to go by Frank's solo album is gonna be strange!) and the Donnas (which is just a pointless rerecorded version of "Get Rid Of That Girl" from the s/t album). Other songs of note come from Avail, the Crumbs, Pansy Division, Groovie Ghoulies, Mopes, Hi Fives, Gas Huffer, Boris The Sprinkler, Citizen Fish and Crimpshrine. In fact, pretty much every track on here is good, even the Servitor track which I was sure I'd hate, but soon became one of my favourites! That'll teach me to be prejudiced, eh readers?

V/A - Four on the Floor CD (Panic Button)

Does anyone remember the sketch show of that name that was on Channel 4 about ten years ago? No? Oh. Anyway, this is nothing to do with that. This is a compilation featuring four bands each providing four tracks. Who are the aforementioned four bands? Screeching Weasel, Moral Crux, Enemy You and the Teen Idols. The Weasel stuff is, in my opinion, the best stuff the current line up has put out to date (check out the lyrics to "Punk Rock Explained" for the life of Screeching Weasel!), Moral Crux sound like a punkier Squirtgun with more thoughtful lyrics, Enemy You are kinda like a more energetic Bad Religion with vocals from a less nasal Fat Mike, and the Teen Idols sound a tad like the first band on here but with that neat boy/girl vocals thang that they got going. Four top bands, sixteen great songs, one essential purchase. God, that last sentence was cheesy. Sorry.

V/A - Hangin' Out With The Stupid Kids CD (S.I.D.)

Twenty two top tracks from some of Britian's best bands, brought to you lucky listeners by the label owned by the wonderful W.O.R.M. Ha, I am ace at this alliteration act. Uh, anyway, this disc is mainly pop-punk, with a bit of HC and the slightest whiff of ska creeping in too. Bands you should already love are W.O.R.M., Pinto, Vanilla Pod and Panic. Bands you will grow to love are Otherwise (Millencolin type skatey stuff), Hobbes (pop-punk with killer melodies), Beaker (somewhere between Toast and, um, Symposium), How To Steal Food (a bit ska-ish melodic stuffage), Beauty School Dropout (hook-laden Parasitesy pop) Headchecks (see earlier review) and Orifis (who are a bit like W.O.R.M.). Decent HC comes from Kickflip and Portiswood, and the Newtown Grunts add some oi-ish punk to the proceedings. This really should be purchased by each and every one of you readers if you have any interest in the UK punk scene, as it is a great way to find out about new bands who may not have played in your area yet. Best compilation of the issue! (£7 ppd from SID, address elsewhere in the zine)

V/A - Honest Don's Greatest Shits CD (Honest Don's)

I'm not sure why Honest Don's have put out another sampler so soon after the last one, as they've only put out a few records since then and as a result most of the tracks on here are culled from the same albums as last time, so you may as well just read the review of that in issue one of Scary Sheep. You don't have a copy? Not to worry, back issue are available at the very reasonable price of 60p+SAE... oh, OK, I'll review it properly. There are fourteen tracks here, most of which are decent. New bands to the fold include hardcore guys Fluf and Anti-Flag, both of whom have been around for ages and both of whom rock. Also new are Hagfish, a second-rate Descendents-style band who I really liked a few years ago, but they kinda bore me now. There's also the superlative snot-punk of the Teen Idols, the ubiquitous J Church, the Riverdales, DHC, Mad Caddies, Diesel Boy, Limp... all decent enough. It's a good selection of tracks and all, and the sleeve art is fucking brilliant, but did the world need another Honest Don's sampler already?

V/A - Hopelessly Devoted To You Too CD (Hopeless)

It's a sampler! It's on Hopeless! It's the new Hopeless sampler! Yep, here's their second foray into the world of the sampler, and it's a good 'un too! There are ten bands on here each supplying two tracks each, and the best part of it is that 50% of the tracks are unreleased! Woo! There really is something for everyone here, whether you like pop-punk, ska, hardcore... it's all here and it's all great. Standouts include the Queers, the differing ska styles of Mustard Plug, Against All Authority and Falling Sickness, the Weston-like Digger and the final track, featuring members of various bands on the Hopeless roster collaborating on a cover of "Walk Like an Egyptian". Comes in neato packaging too. Worth a few quid of anyone's money.

V/A - It's The Cheap Damaged Goods Sampler CD (Damaged Goods)

It's a sampler! It's cheap! It's on Damaged Goods! It's The Cheap Damaged Goods Sampler! This one stands out from the crowd cos it's so diverse -  pop, indie, garage and punk are spread across thirty tracks from as many bands, with emphasis on different. Lessee, there's the electro-pop of Helen Love, Anorak Girl and Dweeb, garage shenanigans from Thee Headcoats (the classic `We Hate The Fuckin' NME'), Thee Headcoatees, Holly Golightly, Cee Bee Beaumont and the Budget Girls, indie-pop from Honeyrider, Lovesick and  Hopper; punky offerings from J Church (quelle suprise!), Toast, Oizone (doing `Love Me For a Reason'), Reverse, Wat Tyler, the Revillos and the Period Pains, and some other stuff, like an early Manics track. Uh, the rest of it is fairly forgettable, and the Phantom Pregnancies track appears to be a minute of silence, but this is well worth picking up. There really is something for everyone on this CD - even you, fuckface!

V/A - Let It All Hang Out Volume One CD (Alopecia)

Before I start this review I should point out that everything I know about garage could be written on the back of a postage stamp that had been ripped into eight pieces. Bearing that in mind, I'm probably not the best person to review this compilation of, uh, garagey rock'n'roll. Having said that, I did enjoy this collection of sloppy and trashy bands, even though the only one I'd heard of prior to receiving this CD were Thee Headcoats. Standout band for me have to be the Jamming Arabs, with their catchy (no pun intended) tribute to Dastardly & Muttley, but most of the bands on here got my ass movin', even if a lot of it does sound like the Kinks being played on an AM radio to my untrained ears. With twenty tracks from as many bands, this is a good introduction to the sleazy world of garagey rock'n'roll. Yeah, this rocks, baby!

V/A - Locked In To Surf & Rock 'N' Roll Instrumentals Part 2 CD (Alopecia)

I know next-to-nothing abut surf instrumentals either, and this CD is packed with twenty five of the buggers. I think that these are cool and everything in moderation, but they all sound pretty similar to me, and they all remind me of the Munsters theme tune. There are some great tunes on here though, and I'm sure I'll keep coming back to this to have a skip through it, but I couldn't handle it all in one sitting. It'll probably make good background music too. Rockin', daddio! Or something like that.

V/A - Mail Order Is Fun! CD (Asian Man)

Wise sentiments indeed, as mail order is one of the funnest things in the world. Nothing beats waking up in the morning to find an envelope stuffed full of punk rock goodness, especially if you've been waiting for it for ages. Anyway, onto the CD. Do you like ska? Do you like punk? Do you like emo? Do you like, uh, polka? If you answered "yes" to any of these questions (particularly the first one) then this CD is for you, pal! Bands who you may have already heard include MU330, Less Than Jake, The Bruce Lee Band, Discount and the unavoidable J Church. Other neat bands here include the ska-punk from Slapstick and the Hippos, ska-core from Link 80, Velocity Girl-style girl pop from Korea Girl, Japanese ska from Potshot and Nicotine, top melodic HC from Ann Beretta and lastly, the brilliant Fifteen-meets-Propagandhi sound of the Broadways. Twenty nine tracks, all worth a listen, some classics. Something for everyone, methinks.

V/A - Moon Ska Sampler CD (Moon Ska Europe)

The back of the sleeve reads "Ska... doesn't it all sound the same?" After listening to this CD you'll learn that the answer is a resounding NO! This CD samples all kindsa ska, from the rootsy reggae stuff to ska-punk, including elements of jazz, pop, swing, rocksteady, pop... I'm not too big on the rootsy stuff like the Toasters, but punkier stuff like Regatta 69, Edna's Goldfish and the Pietasters gets my ass a-skankin. There's a nice ska pop song from the Allstonians, and the CD finishes on a cool lo-fi track from Venice Shoreline Chris. If your only exposure to ska has been through the ska-punk bands then this is worth picking up just to see how wide ranging the genre really is.

V/A - No Need For Wiseguys 7" (Spanking Herman)

Hey, this record is exactly the same colour as those ace "Wham" bars that used to pull fillings out of kids' teeth everywhere! Anyway. There are four bands and seven songs on here. The Griswalds play stuff that sounds like the punkier output of the Queers and Screeching Weasel, Chester are kind of a punked up early Bis (circa "Transmissions on a Teen-C Tip"), Fett play dark early 80s-style punk (sorry, that's a crap description) and Jack Chimp and the Ackroyds (whoever they are) supply a jokey extra track. Three pretty diverse bands on offer here, each good at what they do, and definitely worth sending off for. (£2.50 ppd from PO Box 2927, Brighton, Sussex, BN1 3SX)

LATEST UPDATE:
4/9/2000

Latest records
Latest zines

Records #3
Zines #3

Records #2
Zines #2

Records #1
Zines #1

home  columns  interviews  reviews  shop  guestbook  links