ZINE REVIEWS: ISSUE ONE

GEEK ESSAY #1 (A5, 48pg, 70p ppd)

New zine from a group a 16-year-olds features interviews with Ex-Cathedra, Scarper! and Strain, a W.O.R.M. tour diary and a bunch of columns and reviews. There's nothing new or innovative here, and they don't always succeed in what they're trying to do, but it's packed with enthusiasm and has the potential to be a good little zine once they find their feet. Free sheet of bog roll too! Worth a look. (Plas Devon Farm, Rossett Rd, Holt, Wrexham, LL13 9SY)

GIBBERING MADNESS #5 (A5, 40pg, 50p+SAE)

Not a music zine (save for a few tape reviews), but a look at other aspects of underground culture. This issue particularly looks at art and even though I'm not that interested in arty stuff this was an informative and enjoyable read. Has a bunch of cool illustrations, plus a short story and lots of other bits and pieces. A nice change to reading about music all the time, and an eye-opening look at areas of the underground which are often ignored. (PO Box 298, Sheffield, S10 1YU)

HAPPY HOUSE #9 (A5, 48pg, free+39pSAE)

Yay, a new issue of one of the best and cheapest zines in the country! As usual, this is packed with news, columns, reviews and interviews, this time with The Smugglers, One Car Pile Up, Beauty  School Dropout and (the now defunct) Manfat. Flashy computer layouts, too! New issue due right about now, so send 'em a bunch of SAEs and get a regular dose of this great zine. (PO Box 506, Hull, HU5 1YX)

PUNK ROCK 101 #2 (A5, 32pg, free+SAE)

Free newsprint zine with a print run of - choke - 4000!! How the fuck can they afford that?! (answer: mummy and daddy... I shoulda guessed). This has interviews with Pennywise, Agnostic Front, King Prawn (who suck), Thumb (who suck even more), Millencolin, Knuckledust, Descendents, Blink 182, My Records and Burning Heart Records, some music reviews and, well, nothing else. They refuse to review zines cos they reckon it's based on who knows who rather than the zine itself, and while I can see where they're coming from I have to disagree. It's true that most established zinesters seems to know each other, but isn't that supposed to be the fucking point? Unity and all that? Whatever, this needs more personal touches if it wants me to like it, and more interesting layouts would be nice too. But it is free, and if you like interviews you'll dig it. (Flat 3F2, 50 Rankeillor St, Edinburgh, EH8 9HZ)

REAL OVERDOSE #16 (A5, 60pg, $1.50ppd/$1+SAE)

RealOD is always a top read, and this issue is no exception. Took a while to come out (by their ultra-productive standards) but it was definitely worth the wait (just how many cliches can I fit into one review?!) Interviews with MTX, Four Letter Word, Stunt Child, Dropkick Murphys, Urko, Helium, Dirtys, Chineapple Punx and NRA and the usual excellent mixture of columns, rantings, reviews, Married With Children worship and football (yuck!). Wolfie's just so postive about everything - if everyone in the "scene" was like him we'd have no problems ever. My favourite zine in the whole wide world, and always a truly inspirational read. Get a sub now or forever suck greatly. (64 Chatsworth Drive, Rushmere Park, Ipswich, IP4 5XD)

RUNNIN' FEART #2 (A5, 40pg, $1ppd)

Oooh, very nice! Glossy cover, flashy layouts... er, and an average zine. This comes across as being written by someone who loves punk but doesn't really enjoy writing about it. Interviews with P.U.S., Newtown Grunts, Bloodshot and Tofu Love Frogs, plus articles on Tribute To Nothing, Raggity Anne, Dub Skelper, April Floor and oi.  Lots of blank spaces too, which is not good. "Reviews" of zines that you haven't even read is also quite crappy. A decent effort, but more of the editor's personality and more personal writing would make it so much better, as would correctly spelling the word "definitely" (grrrr!). #3 is out now, so perhaps it's changed a bit. (12 Crusader Crescent, Stewarton, Ayrshire, KA3 3BL)

SHARKPOOL #1 (A5, 36pg, 80p ppd)

Excellent new zine, featuring (rather short) interviews with Ten Foot Pole, Diesel Boy, No Fun At All, Panic, Buck Wild and Dead Joe (sorta), plus some awesome personal writing (why pop-punk kids aren't necessarily stupid, promiscuous sisters and more!) and a comic strip. This is just so well put together. It's had to believe that this is the writer's first attempt at doing a zine. Issue two's out now (for $1ppd, I think) so check 'em both out and get into a zine written by someone who can actually write. (36 Bourneville Lane, Bourneville, Birmingham, B30 2LN)

SMALL SAILOR #5 (A5, 32pg, 50p+SAE)

The cover screams "Cut and paste or die!"... right on! Brief interviews with Freaks Union, Down By Law, Final Conflict and the X-Rays, plus some other bits and bobs including a surprisingly interesting car boot sale review, some anti-TV stuff (blasphemy!) and a "humorous" gardening section which doesn't really do it for me. Maybe I'm just a miserable bastard or something. A great little zine, always worth picking up. Think the next issue should be out soon, write 'em for info. (39 Station Rd, Thirsk, N.Yorks, YO7 1QH)

SULLEN RIOT #4 (A5, 24pg, 60p ppd)

Sullen Riot is cool because it doesn't follow the same formula that most zines stick to (er, yeah, mine included) and it covers more than just punk. This is the best issue yet, featuring interviews with MU330, Dog Toffee, Stampin' Ground, Submerge and Consume, plus stuff on Janis Joplin and a few reviews of zines, shows and records. Emma is an enthusiastic writer (check out her column in this very zine if you don't believe me!) and her zine is well worth a look. (21 Vernon Gardens, Darlington, Co. Durham, DL1 3ED)

TINY FLECKS OF SPIT #4 (A4, 28pg, $1ppd)

Bought the damn good first issue of this about 18 monts ago, and it just gets better and better. Interviews with the excellent Zoinks!, Ataris, Dan Sinker, The Criminals, Groovie Ghoulies, Venera, Beauty School Dropout and Ten Foot Pole, some skatey stuff, some neat columns (including one by Grant Lawrence!) and an excellent piece on "Geek Girls". My only complaint is Jesse Apeshit (nee Jughead)... his column tries way too hard to be like Rev Norb's. Get your own goddamn writing style please! That said, this is a swell pop-punk zine, check it out if you haven't already. (186 Knutsford Rd, Warrington, Cheshire, WA4 2QU)

VISION ON #13 (A4, 40pg, free+SAE)

Free zines are great, aren't they? Even if they're crap they're better than nothing. Fortunately for us, Vision On is anything but crap. In fact, it's one of my very faves. Anyway, behind the swanky card cover you'll find interviews with a bunch of labels such as BYO, Damaged Goods, Speedowax, Crypt and Dischord, plus band i/views with The Cramps, Auntie Christ and Samiam, a Wat Tyler tour diary, stuff on Reading and a sackload more. Top zine. Don't be a moron all your life, send a 39p (I think) SAE today to... (27 Springbank Croft, Holmfirth, W.Yorks, HD7 1LW)

LATEST UPDATE:
4/9/2000

Latest records
Latest zines

Records #3
Zines #3

Records #2
Zines #2

Records #1
Zines #1

home  columns  interviews  reviews  shop  guestbook  links