a bluffer's guide to gattaca

Give me a random quote that will lead into an informative Q and A

Sorry, no. This is a movie where the visuals speak louder than words. Besides, I couldn't find any worth nicking off the IMDb.

What's it about?

Gattaca died something of a death at the box office which is a shame as it turned out to be one of the most watchable movies of the year. A bleak, elegant vision of the future in which genetic engineering has reached such a point that you can determine the sex and future of your unborn child. Such genetic perfections are called Valids. Those born naturally without such white gloved tampering are In-Valids. One of which is Ethan Hawke, a dreamer determined to go into space with a little help of the Gattaca corporation. Alas, with his own genes giving you away as a fraud in a world of perfection, he needs the help of disabled swimmer Jude Law, a Valid whose bodily fluids and cells help him assume a new identity and realise his goal. When one of Hawke's eyelashes is found at the scene of a murder crime, things become decidedly difficult for the fugitive. It's here that things become far less visionary and more along the lines of Inspector Morse meets Blade Runner. Cleverly written and directed by Andrew Niccoll, this is fascinating stuff with staggering set design - little wonder it was Oscar nominated. Uma Thurman is perfectly cast as the very Valid love interest and Law does well as the arrogant invalid and Valid. If you caught it at the movies then you witnessed one of the cinematic treats of the year.

Great. Can I have that in a nutshell?

One man's desperate desire to go into space - despite being imperfect. (A far better tagline than there's no gene for the human spirit).

What's so good about it?

One of the most stylish sci-fi films in history, it also boasts a thought-provoking screenplay and a mesmerising score by Michael Nyman. Destined to become a cult classic.

What does it remind me of?

French new wave films such as Last Year at Marienbad and Alphaville.

What's bad about it?

Things turn into an all too familiar cop case by the second act and there is a case of too much style and not enough rounded characters but this is a delight for the senses.

Who would like it most?

Art students; fashion experts; French new wave film fans.

So, any chance of a sequel then?

Unlikely. As with Blade Runner, this is one of those sci-fi art movies that is perhaps best left alone. The premise is pretty solid though and this world has room for more than one story so maybe one day.

Give me another quote that's a bit poetic and sounds cool

Sorry, still can't think of anything.

Thanks anyway. How about a list of credits?

Cast (in credits order) Ethan Hawke: Vincent Freeman/Jerome Morrow; Uma Thurman: Irene; Alan Arkin; Detective Hugo; Jude Law: Jerome/Eugene; Written and Directed by Andrew Niccoll.

• A Bluffer's Guide to The Big Lebowski
  • Brazil
  • A Life Less Ordinary
  • Grosse Pointe Blank
  • Event Horizon
  • Leon
  • Dark City
  • The Long Kiss Goodnight
  • Immolater Home Page
  • Art
  • Miscellany

roger crow 1998

Disclaimer: All of the above is just my opinion. This does not reflect that of my employer or anyone else. So don't sue me. Cheers.