Anshe's Tablet Collection

My old donkey Anshe has collected tablets providing information on the non-human inhabitants of Nippur and the surrounding areas. This ancient tablet was drafted some time between 2375 B.C. and 2355 B.C., not very long before the rise to power of the great King Sargon of Agade. This tablet is not from Nippur, but was retrieved from Girsu (modern Tello), one of the major cities of the kingdom of Lagash. The trip from Nippur to Girsu covers a distance of over 100 kilometers, not a difficult journey for an enterprising equid. Translation and explanation of the tablet follow below.

Column One

16 še
gur
sag-gál

še anše

LAK 483-si-ga
gana2-DÙN.ÚH-
ka-kam

Fodder for hungry donkeys! Column Two

lugal-
mas-su

sag-apin
-na-ra

en-ig-gal

nu-banda

After the scribe used up the obverse or front of the tablet with two columns, he flipped the tablet vertically, not horizontally the way we would turn the page of a book. Then, on the reverse, he started on the right rather than left column. For this transaction, he did not need to write anything on the last column.

Column Four

Column

Blank

Fodder for hungry donkeys! Column Three

ganun-PAP.PAP
-ta

iti-udu-šè-še-a-
íl-la

dnanše-ka

e-na-ta-
gar II

What the Tablet Says

The tablet can be translated: Eniggal, the supervisor, has delivered from the warehouse of the PAP.PAP, (about) 931 liters (or: about 245 gallons) of barley grain, barley for the feeding of the donkeys, to Lugal-massu, the plough manager, in connection with the ploughing of the field Gana-DUN.UH, in the month of Carrying Grain and Water to the Sheep for Nanshe, second year.

What the Scribe Wrote

Learning Some Words

This hand copy is taken from Wilhelm Förtsch, Altbabylonische Wirtschaftstexte aus der Zeit Lugalanda's und Urukagine's: Vorderasiatische Schriftdenkmäler der königlichen Museen zu Berlin, Heft XIV. Leipzig: J.C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung, 1916. Text No. 49. These texts are actually from the Presargonic period. We no longer use the expression Old Babylonian or Altbabylonische to refer to this early period.

The text has been edited (in German) by Josef Bauer, Altsumerische Wirtschaftstexte aus Lagasch: Studia Pohl, Vol. 9. Rome: Biblical Institute Press, 1972. Pp. 123-125.

Click on these links to navigate our site:

Add your thoughts to the Nippur Town Tablet Guestbook by GuestWorld See what others say in the Nippur Town Tablet

Sign My Guestbook View My Guestbook
This page was edited on 26 April 1999. If you have cuneiform questions or comments, please email Dubsar, the Cuneiform Scribe. If I do not respond promptly, the vendor supplying Fortune City's email service may be eating your mail for lunch. In that case, you can give a shout over to Dubsar's Sand Dune to get my attention. Thanks! © 1998-1999 Erasmus Compositor, P.O. Box 25958, Baltimore, MD 21224.