INDEX  INDIA  NEPAL  ABOUT US CENSUS INDIA STORY OF INDIA CHURCHES INDIA    KERALA   OUR INDIA PUBLICATIONS        HOME   GUEST BOOK

Friday  25  January

My son,  give me thine heart,  and let thine eyes observe my ways.  Proverbs 23, 26.

A new heart also will I give you,  and a new spirit will I put within you.   Ezekiel 36, 26.

The new purse

The children at Sunday School had been given the verse, “My son, give me thine heart” to learn. When Anne reached home, she asked, “Daddy, what does it mean: “Give me thine heart?” - “I’ll explain it, if you go and fetch your purse,” her father answered.

The girl went and fetched her old purse that contained all her “wealth” - a few coppers - with some hesitation. She watched as her father silently put it into his jacket pocket.

The next day  he called his daughter and told her, “Anne, I didn’t think your purse was nice enough for what I wanted to put into it. So I’ve given you a new one, and look what I’ve put into it!” On opening at Anne was thrilled to discover not a few used coppers but a brand new five-pound note. Her father explained, “Anne, dear, you wanted to know why the Lord Jesus wants out hearts. Now  we can only give Him what e have: a rather bad heart that’s not worth much. Instead of that He gives us a completely new heart with a real treasure in it: true happiness, eternal life and a place in heaven. Can you understand now why you have to learn that verse?”

“If any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new” (2 Corinthians 5, 17).