INDEX  INDIA  NEPAL  ABOUT US CENSUS INDIA STORY OF INDIA CHURCHES INDIA    KERALA   OUR INDIA PUBLICATIONS        HOME         GUEST BOOK

Thursday  3  January

Whosoever will be great among you, shall be your minister: and whosoever will be the chiefest, shall be servant of all.  Mark 10, 43. 44.

Everyone has an innate desire to be great or to be distinguished in some way or other. Yet that is not the pathway to true happiness. Somebody once said, “I only became really happy when I stopped wishing I were a great personality.” This true, but earnest quotation shows real insight. Even the disciples of Jesus once argued about who was the greatest among them. Genuine greatness consists in serving others, not oneself, as many have discovered.

The Creator of the universe, the exalted and dignified Son of God, once came to this earth  “not to be ministered unto,  but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many” (Mark 10, 45). He came in poverty and humility, so that we “through his poverty might be rich” (2 Corinthians 8, 9). He had “no form nor comeliness”. He was “despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief” (Isaiah 53, 2. 3).

The climax of His services was His suffering and death on the cross for the guilt and sin of others. For that obedience towards His God He was highly exalted, and God has “given him a name which is above every name” (Philippians 2, 9).

God will also exalt everyone who humbles himself before Him, acknowledging and confessing his sin and guilt. Whoever surrenders his will to the Lord Jesus Christ, putting an end to his own efforts to obtain salvation in the sacrificial death of the Saviour, God can raise from the dust and cleanse him from all sin, so that he can serve his Lord as one of God’s children.